first problem in 6 years

atk

Reaction score
i went through 2 fuel pumps in a year....both times it was in the winter. just wanted to pass this along. both times, fuel pump got very noisy....

if it was a FICM problem, it should set codes....

can you hear fuel pump at all????

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!

I made sure the fuel system wasn't air bound today by opening the bleeder / pressure gauge spot today. I am getting fuel and when I try to start it I can smell fuel and see the white smoke from the exhaust.
I did get it to run (barely) and it finally threw a code P2617. The ABS light is also on. Doesn't a ABS light = a bad speed sensor on the rear end.

Hopefully a little more info helps you guys get the brain working. It is probably going to the shop tomorrow :rant

atk

Reaction score
looked up your code. may a wiring issue(chaffing), or a connection problem in CKP sensor circuit....

check your wiring going to crankshaft position sensor. check connection there and at pcm. also check any connection between the two. there are known area`s where wire`s can rub through. mine rubbed through on the ccv tube( the aluminum clamp)....hope this helps

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you load test the batteries , I had one bad (bad cells) battery once that was pulling the voltage down on the other and when the truck was running and it would do kinda what your describing . It eventually got to where it wouldn't run . It would crank kinda slow (compared to normal) . Just a thought . Good luck with it .

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you load test the batteries , I had one bad (bad cells) battery once that was pulling the voltage down on the other and when the truck was running and it would do kinda what your describing . It eventually got to where it wouldn't run . It would crank kinda slow (compared to normal) . Just a thought . Good luck with it .

I thought of this as well, I did kill the battaries trying to start it but hooked it to a battery charger and got it to start (again barely) but would only barely run.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looked up your code. may a wiring issue(chaffing), or a connection problem in CKP sensor circuit....

check your wiring going to crankshaft position sensor. check connection there and at pcm. also check any connection between the two. there are known area`s where wire`s can rub through. mine rubbed through on the ccv tube( the aluminum clamp)....hope this helps

Thanks again Alex,I am going to leave the house early tomorrow so I can check this out first thing in the morning when I get to the shop. I have the ramp truck coming to get it because I have to work and possible snow coming Friday so I can't screw around with this to much, I need it running to plow with.

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Dave, just had mine to the diesel shop with the same symptoms,ran like **** in the morning- sounded and felt like the engine was missing- truck doesn't want to move fast- trans shifting like ****- FICM throwing low voltage on all injectors.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with the amount of work I have had and the amount of family time I want to spend as well as possible snow coming this weekend, The truck lost out for diagnostic time. I had to have my buddies buddy come and pick it up and fix it. I will update when the truck is done. Thanks for all the help guys!

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanic called me back today and informed me its the fuel pump, its getting fuel to the engine fuel filter but just barely. Fuel pressure barely registers when he tested it.
He said the fuel pump is about $300 and there is also an upgrade wiring harness that he will install with it along with about 2 hours of labor. Could be alot worse I suppose. Will be glad to have my truck back!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim