fix for boost gauge flutter

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
I can't remember how to fix the flutter in the boost gauge. I read a thread a while back about it on another site. I know I need to add restriction into the line but don't know what to use or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated. With the stage two's and Tony's new programming it's bouncin all over the place:eek: :thumbs

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
well Mr. Vader:D
the 6.0s had it real bad, but as far as the 7.3s it was ususally the the little ferule where the tubing attached to the gauge. it would work loose. if your using the 1/8 tubing hard plastic stuff.
plus some found tapping into the map line using the 5/16 tees aslo caused teh bounce.
but I beleive if your tapped in using a 5/16 tee with a 1/8 outlet for the gauge it should solve the bounce.

but this being said... at what boost does your gauge bounce or flutter
25 and above your probably seeing stall or surge. and the tuners also screw with the wastegate solenoid thingy( makinging shut on and off rapidly so as not to open the wastegete yet, usaully hear it with just the key on engine off) and can cause the needle to bounce.
you may try a small piece of open cell foam at the gauge to ferule connection to see if it helps.
hope it helped some,
i usually got bounce at 27-29 then a CEL plus some defuel :D
more like a rattle

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
In my new extreme setting it pegs the 35psi guage really quick but it's bouncing back and forth 5-10psi so I can't get a reading.I'm tapped into the map line with a Home Depot air pressure regulator plumbed in after the T to stop the map from seeing more than 25psi. Since mine is the obs I don't have a wastegate. Some one suggested using a cheap automotive fuel filter in the line. I guess either would work as long as it dampens the flutter before it gets to the gauge.

Thanks
Alan

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I tried all the suggestions I could find and mine still flutters. I tried restriction in the line and a filter in the line. My next plan is to try a different gauge.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There is a diaphram in the gauge that is supposed to stop the fluctuations. I had an oil gauge go wild on me, jumping 20 pounds + or -. New guage cured it.

Dave

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
check out my other reply on TDS buddy

Hey Darth Stroker, check out my reply to your question on The Dark Side, oh and something I didn't say over "there" was that I swapped to push-connect fittings and 3/16 line. All I had to do to hook up the lines was push them into the fittings, and it was done! No more bad flutter and I can actually see that I top out at 36 pounds of boost, alot I know, for stock 'jectors, but good programs!! :thumbs

Dave

Darth_Stroker

Dark Lord of the Sith
Reaction score
Found the fix! I called autometers tech line and they sold me a pressure snubber. It's made by chemiquip products co inc
Ph # 201-868-4445
Part # 12sE
The E denotes the porosity that you want
it's a stainless steel inline fitting 1/8"npt with a porous media on the interior. I plumbed it in to the brass tee thats in my map line for the boost gauge. It took nearly all flutter out of my gauge. :sweet I now know that I'm pegging my 35psi gauge and thats on the econo setting:eek: The part is $10 from autometer.

Alan

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg