Question Fixing the HG myself, looking for instructions

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
So my 04 has HG issue and it is out of warranty (104,000 mi). Yanked the tuner 15k miles ago because I did not want my HG's to blow. Anyway, my dad owns a service shop so I have access to a lift and tools.
My question is, what is the procedure to do this and what special tools do I need?

I looked but could not find any instructions of anyone doing it by themselves yet.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
All I know is that you have to lift the cab and front clip as a solid unit to get to the heads. There was a thread around here of some one doing it them self's and making a lift to lift the cab and all be danged but I cant find it.

dukeyaz

2004 F350 LWB 4X4
Reaction score
My Dad has a shop with several bays, so I was planning to use one lift next Friday and Saturday to get the heads off (by pulling the cab), then the following weekend to put it back together. I saw that link you mentioned a while back but a search did not bring it up.
I guess I better hope AllData (?) shows me the steps and any necessary specialty tools.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The procedure for theheads is like most other heads. I can't think of anything special about this. PM me your email address and I will send you what I have on this. It will take a few hours for me to get the information together.

Dave

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
My engine was pulled by the dealership when I had new HG and head studs put in.

I figure doing it cab-off would be the way for you to go since you have access to
a good shop, tools, etc. to make it happen.

Good luck.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
is it possible to do it with out taking the cab off or pulling the engine
MY 03' WAS DONE INCLUDING NEW HEAD STUDS WITHOUT THE CAB REMOVED. Done by the dealer techs who know the tricks. I would share the tricks if I knew them, sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58