flexpate problems threaten labor day vacation..

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
What I thought was a starter problem turned bad when I got a new starter and it still would not engage the flexplate. In the last mile I had driven the truck before this mess I noticed a bad vibration when decellerating down a hill while slightly on the brakes, enough for me to let off which made the vibration stop. I decided I was going to check it out on my way home but the truck would not start (starter grinding flexplate)

Im leaving friday for a vacation 5 hours away and went to put the starter in tonight when I found the trouble, I tore into it right away and dropped the trans/transfer case and found the flexplate had several cracks almost to the outer edge and the center section almost totally disconnected.

I have a few questions that will help me fix this right since it has to be done tomorrow night or atleast parts ordered for me to install on wednesday. On the torque converters nose there is a bushing about 1/4 inch wide that fits over the nose, it looks a little chewed up and the torque converter nose itself looks pretty bad off (scored and grooves in it, but not through the metal) Should I replace this bushing? I cant afford to replace the converter or the vacation is screwed. But I really cant afford to stranded on the side of the road going there.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
With a new flexplate this truck runs and drives like brand new, apparently the thing was bad for some time, probably since I bought it last december. The engines starts right up and idles smooth as a diesel can be, and quiet - for a 7.3 with exhaust you can hear yourself think again!

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Well, Flexplate is toast again.. I hope it doesnt keep doing this every 6 months.

Luckily its not too bad to change since I can sit indian style under the truck.. but dang..

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Yeah, Im sure of it. I really cant afford a torque converter now though. I found 3 parts I need, an engine spacer, a flexplate reinforcement ring, and converter bushing.. I replaced none of those when I did the flexplate the first time, I dont even think I had a reinforcement ring if such a thing exists.

I have the part numbers from ford and will order on monday

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Im sure of it. I really cant afford a torque converter now though. I found 3 parts I need, an engine spacer, a flexplate reinforcement ring, and converter bushing.. I replaced none of those when I did the flexplate the first time, I dont even think I had a reinforcement ring if such a thing exists.

I have the part numbers from ford and will order on monday

There something else going on there. Have you look at a aftermarket flex plate?

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
I looked around and couldn't find one that didnt require a new torque converter. ATS says on their site its compatible with their converter only.

For the price of both those I can buy 24 flexplates LOL. Also I am not so sure that if I have too much runout at the crank or input shaft that a billet flexplate wouldnt totally trash the bearings - This is assuming a flexplate is supposed to "Flex"

I am running 6 x 37" swampers, on stock gearing.. so maybe that is some of it aswell.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a DORMAN part number #04666 for a flex plate fits 99-02 7.3 PSD cost should be around $131.49 +/-. This is a OEM setup.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
well, I finally got enough money saved up to buy my parts.. Ended up getting all the parts for a tsb that says something about the engine space (spacer between the back of the engine and in front of the trans) being machined improperly on some trucks up through '99 which side loads the flexplate and torque converter.

So I will end up with a new torque converter (multi-disc) new flex plate - ford, engine spacer, flexplate reinforcement ring and a billet piece on back of the crankshaft..

I talked with a guy when I was buying my converter and he said I probably bent the mounting bolts on the TC when the last one cracked. That and I figure the TC wouldnt mate right since the nose of it was a little scarred up

cost me a little over $1000 in parts..

I also got new glowplugs, injector o-rings, and will need u-joints since most of them are almost completely frozen solid - never seen that before.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Here is the information if anyone else is looking for it. This seems like my problem for sure, I havent measured the transmission adaptor yet but will change it out anyway. All the parts below are what I ordered.

FORD:

1994-97 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD, F-350

1994-99 ECONOLINE

1999 SUPER DUTY F SERIES

ISSUE:

The transmission adapter may cause a misalignment between the flexplate and torque converter causing a pre-load condition between the two components. This concern arises during a transmission flexplate replacement.

ACTION:

Inspect and replace (if necessary) the flexplate reinforcement plate and crankshaft spacer when replacing the flexplate. In addition, replace the engine spacer during this procedure. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE:

THIS PROCEDURE SHOULD BE USED FOR BROKEN/CRACKED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLEXPLATES. THIS PROCEDURE IS PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT FOR VEHICLES WHICH HAVE SHOWN REPEAT FAILURES AND/OR LOW MILEAGE FAILURES.

1. Inspect the flywheel reinforcement plate for damage. The plate should be flat and free of any galling. Replace Flywheel Reinforcement Plate (F4TZ-6A366-A) if damaged.

2. Inspect the crankcase spacer for damage. The spacer should be flat and free of any galling. Replace Crankcase Spacer (F81Z-6A366-AA) if damaged.

3. Replace the Engine Spacer (F4TZ-6A369-A).

4. Install the crankshaft spacer and flexplate reinforcement plate (less flexplate) with the flexplate attachment bolts. Tighten to specification. The crankshaft spacer and reinforcement plate should be firmly secured and bolts seated. If the bolts are not seated and/or the parts are still loose, remove the bolts, spacer, and reinforcement plate and bottom tap the crankshaft holes.

5. Reinstall the crankshaft spacer, flexplate, reinforcement plate, and reinstall the flexplate attachment bolts.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 497000, 504000, 597997, 601300, 603300

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14