flexpate problems threaten labor day vacation..

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Well, I got shipped out of town back in may, just got back to this, I have since had the flexplate replaced again while out of town (about August) and it has gone out again by mid september.

Now, I went and bought 2 flexplates, cut the center out of one and I am having it welded to the center of the other on the trans side. I have a welder but I am not "that" good at welding so I took it to a welding shop.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is something else wrong if you're breaking flexplates that routinely but I have no idea where to even start looking.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
So far so good with the doubled up flexplate. I did have a small interference issue at startup where the flexplate "ticked" against something in the bellhousing but it went away in a few minutes. Other than that I did have to use welded on washers to space out the torque converter where the bolts are (6, one at each bolt).

Since I cut the flexplate inside the recessed portion, and the external balance weight is out toward the edge I didnt rebalance. Im sure it is off a CH, but what can you do..

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
For those following this,

The doubled up flexplate gave up the ghost last week and just got around to replacing it today.

On the old doubled up one I just doubled up the dished portion and had it tigged. It broke both centers right at the bolts, and I had left out the little reinforcment ring since I though I had enough reinforcement there anyway, well the center popped out, and busted right along side the bolts so it was tricky to even get off the crank since the flexplate was now flush with the heads of the bolts.

So, yesterday I went to pick up my buddies trans jack and helped him put his trans back in his early 99 dually, and I noticed that he doesnt have a little 1/8 inch this spacer that I have between the trans and horsecollar. So I left that out and it seemed to go back together a little better.

Also in the last week I was hunting an ATS flexplate, but no one had one, including ATS themselves. So I started looking into converting to manual and found that what I suspected was right, my truck was originally a manual since the trans tunnel is higher and has the hole already there - I had thought all the trucks were the same and they covered the hole if it was automatic.

Anyhow, on this flexplate, I doubled everything but the ring gear, meaning all the way out to just about the edge. The doubled up flexplate and me getting rid of the spacer leave absolutely no play at the converter like I used to have, Im just hoping its not too tight in the pump. When I was doing the converter nuts and walking it with a screwdriver it seemed about the same as usual..

So I will let you all know

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the proper dowels look like on the automatics? Mine don't come all the way through the horsecollar on the back of the engine and I assume they should. Am I right in thinking the shorter ones are for a m$anual trans?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Turns out i have too short of dowel pins in the back of the motor

letting the trans shuck around on the bolts...
yeah, can't help you with the part number, but I think you finally found the problem.

Guinness

superdudiest
Reaction score
This time the dealer was able to get me the proper dowels, they are like 3 inches long for the automatic trans. Withe truck being at one time manual - am betting the pcm is also a manual since the trans always shifted like crap too.is there a way to tell ?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
This time the dealer was able to get me the proper dowels, they are like 3 inches long for the automatic trans. Withe truck being at one time manual - am betting the pcm is also a manual since the trans always shifted like crap too.is there a way to tell ?

get the engineering number off the side of the case and give it to Ford..

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score

There would be an aftermarket tranny controller if the PCM is programed for a manual.

Your dealer can decipher the PCM numbers.

Aftermarket controller would be a box wired into the PCM and tranny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14