Flexplates keep breaking on my 99 PSD

roboman7s

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys kinda new to the site. I have a 99 PSD had a new tranny put in it about 20-25000 miles ago. Then built her all up good torque converter and all of that and put something in it to keep the torque converter locked up so when you were pulling something it was easier on the tranny??? I'm not real sure. I will tell you my problem though, about a year after I got the new tranny in the truck the stupid thing started growling and everything else when then she went limp no power to the wheels. Well it broke the flexplate right around the crankshaft bolts so I replaced it didn't notice anything weird put a new Oreilly's special in the thing and put her back togethor well it's been a couple of months now and it growling again and when you start it it's really bad so I'm thinking it's broke the flexplate again. So why does it keep doing this?????? It's a pain to keep changing these things out at $138/each. I wonder if this torque converter lockup deal is doing it?? Because when you kick the thing off of cruise going down the road it kinda bucks a minute or so later which the shop said is normal because the torque converter is unlocking. I wonder if that is doing it?? I mean surely that has to be putting alot of strain on the ole drivetrain??

Well any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Brandon

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Most cases its caused by one of four things...

1 Miss aligned bell housing to block

2 Bent Crank

3 Out of Balance Torq Conv.

4 LOTS OF HP...

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Most cases its caused by one of four things...

1 Miss aligned bell housing to block

2 Bent Crank

3 Out of Balance Torq Conv.

4 LOTS OF HP...

seeing as how it started when/after you changed the tranny..
my starting guesses would be
of the above

daytondiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
who's convertor and rebuild kit did you use ? there is a thread like this on the nation I will try to find it, I think they listed what was causing the problem.

Jay

daytondiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found the thread turned out to be another problem but they had a thread link to the stop and that guys problem was the trans case was warped. there is another thread that the guys problem was the harmonic balancer was bad and causing to much vibration.

let us know what you find out.

Jay

roboman7s

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
How could the bellhousing be misaligned with the block??? I mean this thing has 260,000 miles on it so it's not HP I know that for sure. I wonder if it's something with the balancer or something?? Do they have rubber balancers or what?? Because I was having some issues with the belt tensioner pulleys squalling and just wondered if that was transfering to the crankshaft??? Do you think it could be something as simple as that???

I don't know who's torque converter or rebuild kit they used?? Something is weird though, I mean it took a year to do it the first time and now just 2-3 months so whatever it is it's getting worse.

Thanks for the replies.

Brandon

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Brandon check very carefully, to see if by any chance your bell housing bolts are/have been coming loose, if so it could cause one side or the other to flex away from the block. I have not heard of balancers causing the problem you speak of, however I have learned never to rule out others experiences.

roboman7s

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yep I don't know I will have to get it in the shop and take a look at it and pay real attention to bolts and that. Thanks for the ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14