Fluids

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I got some questions about fluids:

1) Is there a certain transmission fluid i should be looking at for a stock tranny with aver 125k on it?

2) When it comes to replaceing the fuel filters, I hear some guys fill the filter compartment up with transmission fluid?

3) Is it safe to put a little bit of lawn mower oil in your fuel tank? I know a guy who does it on his cummins to induce black smoke.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can only use Motorcraft XP Tranny fluid. Nobody else makes this stuff. Don't use anything else. Fill the fuel filter with fuel and not tranny fluid and keep most of the other crap out of your systems. Many people have misunderstood diesels today, thinking that they need all sorts of fluids added to everything under the sun. This misconception will cause you many more problems than it could possibly solve. Stick with is in your Owners Manual. By the way, it is YOUR truck and you can use anything you like. You bare the responsibility for your own actions.

Dave :)

cubalz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would you fill the filter compartment with tranny fluid? :whah

I am not even going to touch the 3rd comment. :rant

Last edited:

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Tranny fluidin the fuel filter?????? :dunno :dunno

And why would you listen to a cummins guy???? Thats like fishing without drinking......it just ain't right!!!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In responce to your 3 questions

1) I agree with Dave.... Use only the Motorcraft stuff that is REQUIRED!

2 and 3) 2. it will fill on its own, cycle the key 3 or 4 times before you start it after a filter change. 3. The only thing that goes in the fuel system of my 6.0 is Clean #2 from a busy supplier and a name brand, reputable diesel treatment (I use Diesel Clean for the lubricity additive and anti-gel). 6.0 injectors are VERY PICKY about what is run throught them.....in my opinion you are inviting trouble if you do not adhere to the previous statement...

I think to get it to smoke with 2 cycle oil, you would have to put ALOT of it in the tank, and there again, I do not recommend putting anything in the tank (see above). In the 7.3 you can get buy with a bit more than in a 6.0, and the old IDI's will run on just about "anything"........

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure what xp is ? a typo ?

the approved fluids for your tranny are Mercon SP or or the New Mercon LV

valvoline sells one that states on the bottle it is ok to use in our transmissions also
and they confirmed this over the phone ,,

Last edited:

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burn everything I can find. I filter it and mix with no problems. Used trans fluid is the best. NEVER in a 6.0, or newer it will give you lot's of problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58