Ford Rebuilt HD Trannies

travelinbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are the Ford HD rebuilds any good. We travel from coast to coast and I'm considering buying a HD from Ford so the warranty would be good anywhere in the USA.
Anyone have first hand knowledge?
Thanks
Bob

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry no first hand knowledge. I can say that if you purchase one from one of the reputable aftermarket transmission builders you will not need to worry about the warranty. The few problems that have been chronicled on the web have been resolved very quickly and with excellent customer service.

Another option for you that will give you a nationwide warranty is the Monsterbox which can be purchased through any Jasper engine & trans location.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just offering a suggestion. no reason to get all jumpy.

Ford rebuilds do not have a great track record, and if the HD tag they put on a rebuild is normal for ford you will have bought an expensive 2 letters on your invoice.

If you're buying it from ford then expect no longer life than your first one. that is unless you have the mechanical diode in your OE.

travelinbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Brandon,
sorry for gettin all jumpy.
One reason for considering Ford is that almost every town has a Ford dealer instead of buying a Monsterbox, BTS, or a JW. We travel fulltime and are never in the same place more than a week or two, three, or four.
The reg duty is $3000 and the HD is $4000 installed. From what I understand Ford supplies a external cooler for their rebuilds and thats what should have been done originally. The HD has a bigger and better TC and more that I do not understand.
Only reason why I'm considering Ford is the thousands of warranty stations.
Bob

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob, if you go with the ford make shore you put in a new trans. cooler. Dont let them use the old one you can kiss the new warranty good-by. Why the trans. cooler have small cooling holes and you can never get all the crap out from the old trans. and it will get sucked into the new trans. sooner or later.

travelinbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Funny that you reply just when I had talked to Ford about the cooler. Yes it is included. I have no idea what it looks like but I like the ones on the 6.0 PSD. I hope that's the external one that they are talking about.
Bob

travelinbob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dogman, I see you're from Tampa. The Ford dealer that I'm working with on this tranny is Gordon Jarrett Ford in Davenport. The truck came from Gator Ford back in 2001 but I'm comfortable talking to the Davenport guys. I know that Ford is sticking it to me but I'm paying for the "everywhere" warranty.
Bob

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob,

no big deal, the advantages to the monsterbox when purchased through Jasper is you get the same every city is going to have someone who will do the warranty work as a dealership and even more likely to have the smaller towns that can't support a dealer but have a mechanic.

All that is null and void if your truck is sitting idle with a dead transmission.

I sincerely hope that you can give us some rave reviews in a few years about how your transmission has lasted.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I have a Ford HD E4OD rebuild in my 97. I'm relatively happy with it. It tows well and hes yet to get hot on me, so we'll see but so far I'm happy with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg