Ford says turbo bad b/c of Oilguard bypass

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
They ARE covering it under warranty. But, since I just installed the Oilguard two days before the turbo went out, they said they were concerned that the Oilguard may be robbing the engine of oil flow, hence the turbo went bad. They said the warranty may be an issue IF the turbo goes out again (remember, this is the FOURTH turbo getting installed). The dealer is/has been accepting of my mods (to include the SCMT), but the diesel mechanic isn't that experienced and is completely unfamiliar with any types of mods, to include those that the big rigs run (ie: oil bypass filters, coolant bypass filters, etc).

So, what I need from all you guys is info to tell the dealer when I pick it up tomorrow (please, no "yer on crack" statements:( ) on why the Oilguard wouldn't make this happen. I have a hard time swallowing the statement that a bypass filter would make a turbo fail when the 03 turbo's are known to be problematic.

As always, help is appreciated. :thanks :hail

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
They ARE covering it under warranty. But, since I just installed the Oilguard two days before the turbo went out, they said they were concerned that the Oilguard may be robbing the engine of oil flow, hence the turbo went bad. They said the warranty may be an issue IF the turbo goes out again (remember, this is the FOURTH turbo getting installed). The dealer is/has been accepting of my mods (to include the SCMT), but the diesel mechanic isn't that experienced and is completely unfamiliar with any types of mods, to include those that the big rigs run (ie: oil bypass filters, coolant bypass filters, etc).

So, what I need from all you guys is info to tell the dealer when I pick it up tomorrow (please, no "yer on crack" statements:( ) on why the Oilguard wouldn't make this happen. I have a hard time swallowing the statement that a bypass filter would make a turbo fail when the 03 turbo's are known to be problematic.

As always, help is appreciated. :thanks :hail

Let me say " yep he is on drugs" :roflmao
seriously, if you have a strong return at the oil guard return line. I would start by being civil and ask the dealer/service writer to explain, obvisoulsy the trubo being chaged a few times before would set a precedant that there is something a miss. you do have a oil pressure test port, have them install a direct reading oil pressure gauge,( thats why its there) run it with the oil gaurd "capped" off and then with the oil guard in full functioning position.
I bet there is less than 3 psi difference in pressure.
then walk out to his lot and look at the f560 and f750 with CATS, look closely at the oil filters. one is a full flow the other is a bypass
also ask the fleet guy to spec out a 650 and ask for the bypass filter option. print it out and then show theservice writer.
if the mech is a light duty tech, he may not be well versed, but if he is SAE certified he knows all about em.

and today while your waiting, call oil guard talk to the big guy. I bet he will give you some test data to back up the oil pressure.
hope it works out, but my guts tell me they may be sympathetic to your previous mods and are now getting COLD feet so they are looking for any excuse.
DONT loose your temper, win them with sugar, not vinegar
one more thing.... What is wrong witht he turbo? burnt bearings, broken vgt?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree completely. The very fact that it is a BYPASS oil filter means that it is low flow. I too am curious as to what failed on this turbo. I would also be curious to see what pressure is available at the oil port for the turbo. If there is not enough oil, well the rest is obvious.

I assume before you shut the truck down you give it a moment or two to cool down before you shut it off? I give mine at least 30 sec to 1 min at idle to circulate some oil through the bearings.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
A bypass system such as Oil Guard only diverts +/- 5%-10% of the circulating oil. I've has mine for over 100K miles w/o any turbo damage from oil restriction. I agree that the Ford guys are either on drugs or just plain ignorant. Remember, ANY excuse to void a warranty is THEIR job.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Just talked to my service rep, and he said that the bearings in the turbo were shot. Could this be something that happened over 300 miles?

I had a good flow of oil coming into the return (oil fill tube) from the Oilguard; my only reservation is that my "good flow" may be different from someone else's "good flow." It was a steady stream, just like when pulling the oil drain plug and getting that steady stream of oil. BUT, even if the Oilguard was clogged, wouldn't that just mean that the oil would not enter the bypass system? So it really shouldn't matter....I think.:confused:

Like I said, they're covering it under warranty. I just want to make sure it wasn't the Oilguard that caused this problem.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
I assume before you shut the truck down you give it a moment or two to cool down before you shut it off? I give mine at least 30 sec to 1 min at idle to circulate some oil through the bearings.

Yeah, I always give it at least 30 seconds, provided the EGT's are under 375. From what I've read, though, the newer turbos don't need that extra "cool down" time like the old ones did. I still do it, though.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Shot...at 300 miles? That has to be some kind of record. 5-6k is bad. But 300 miles?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
Shot...at 300 miles? That has to be some kind of record. 5-6k is bad. But 300 miles?

300 miles since I installed the Oilguard. I don't think it's possible that it is the reason for the turbo failure.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles since the last turbo? What was happening for the failure, lack of boost, horrendous noise? I can't see how the heck you can trash 4 turbos like that.

Let me ask you this... are they completely replacing the turbo, or doing a rebuild on it? Reason I ask is if the rotor(s) are out of balance, that will eat bearings like no other. If they are being cheap and throwing bearings at it, it will never fix the root cause. I don't know if they can rebuild them or not.

I only mention that as we had a 6.9 that ate a quart every 500 miles, from about 5000 miles all the way to 125k when it went boom. The deal supposedly replaced the engine twice, and amazingly the oil consumption was always the same, until it went out of warranty then they said sorry about your luck. That dealership to this day still can't fix a lawnmower. My old man was a real Pud about that deal.

Can you ask to see the old turbo? If they can't produce the dead one, I'd be a little interested as to what they did. Also, mark the housing on the current one, something unobtrusive, like a small "X" scribed in the outlet housing. Something so that when the next one comes apart (sorry for the bad omen) you can go back to them when they replace it again and say WTF over?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58