FPR shim?

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upping the fpr is pre injector, the chip mess's with the injector fuel pressure. 2 totally different things. I have not done mine yet, but it's on the list.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shimming of the FPR will give you a little better idle, and smoother sound... Nothing performance wise. Dont go much above 70 as this is very hard on the stock pump. I have mine set to 69, and at WOT on the 125-140 hp settings it will drop to about 58-60...

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
Alright stirring the pot here, but I thought the stock pump was good up to 100psi, along with the rest of the system. I know the stock setting is less the 60 but what is the real specs on this thing. I run at 78 and get the best performance out of it.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
It's capable of 100psi....not designed for it. Kinda like the stock turbo is capable of 30+ boost levels but thrust can only handle 25psi. IMO.

I ran my shimmed FPR at about 68psi. Now that I have an external regulator I run 71psi....that's where it sounds sweetest at idle and doesn't drop psi at WOT.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said the fuel pump will not live a long and healthy life at anything about 70psi. 70-71-72 all in the ball park, 78 psi I bet that pump is HOT...

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
FPR

Navistar says the system is OK to run at 105psi. I have been much higher but 95psi gets the most performance. I don't get the fuel drop in mine with a 5psi pusher at the tank. The GSL 392 Walbro at half the price of the factory Bosch pump is a big improvment also. I have been running at 95psi for a long time with nothing bad to report.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I talked to Gillette Diesel before I ordered a FPR shim. From what they told me they recommened around 90 PSI and told me that no harm would be done to any part of the fuel system at that pressure. They actually sell a new spring which I have already installed. I did notice a little smoother idle and the throttle seems to be more sensitive. I havent installed a gauge to see where its actually at, and I know I need to, but I am a bit concerened that the pressures may be too high. Please let me know what anyone else has found. Thanks!

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said the fuel pump will not live long at 85psi... buy a spare one and keep it with you...

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
FPR shim

What do you mean by not live long? I've been close to 100psi for many miles with no problem. I am going to look into what Bosch has to say about there pump. Gillette's spring is a fast way to get pressure up. I checked mine today and got a big suprise. 35psi!!!! The floor of the cap broke and left an open port for return. 35psi is pretty good for having a 3/8 line open. I did figure out how to fix the cap if anybody is intrested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14