Front axle hub bearing and seal HELP

PublicNuisance

Catch & Release
Reaction score
The other day my left front hub axle bearing went out at a little less than 70,000 miles, I know, not very many miles for an 02 model. I followed the instructions on the Guzzles web page for needle bearing service, Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page, it was very helpful. Removing the bad bearing went well, had some difficulty removing the seal and axle but finally got it out. Tried to install the new hub seal with a press and ruined one. Went on line and found instructions on how to make a seal installer using pipe, Ford Super Duty Knuckle Seal Tool - AKA OTC 6695 | Superdutypsd.com, and it went pretty well. The seal showed some marks from the homemade tool but went on ok. Assembly went fine until I got to the point where you install the stub axle c-clip on top of the thrust washers. Not enough axle exposed to engage the clip. I used national seal, 710493 and O’Reillys house brand of bearing/hub assembly, 515020, along with the dust seal 710413. The design of the axle tube dust seal is weak and a POS IMHO. Tried everything from prying the axle out to driving in 4 wheel drive, still no joy. My next attempt will be to use the otc-6695 seal installation tool, on order from tooltopia through amazon, Amazon.com: OTC Tools (OTC6695) Ford Axle Shaft Seal Installer: Automotive, and a genuine ford seal, .

Anyone have any thoughts? Surely I am not the first to have this problem.

Thanks

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
I recall having this issue once upon a long time ago, If I recall, I removed one of the 2 thrust washers, drove the truck around for a week, the next weekend the washer fit in just as it should. not sure what was holding things up... but it did eventually all go back together.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
or you could pry the stub axle out just a hair with a bar behind the knuckle..

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or you could pry the stub axle out just a hair with a bar behind the knuckle..

x2;tu....did that about a month ago.

Side note, not long after my wheel bearings went out (like 2 weeks later) the needle bearings went out and I wound up having to buy another left axle from ford...$600. So may be a good idea to replace them if you have to go back in there.

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found the same thing to be true. Have to pry stub axle out. If I rember correctly it is a PIA, pry out and push in with the clip. I usually only get it part way on then use a small hammer and punch to get it solid in the groove.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58