Frozen front hubs after only 79k?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I've read all the posts on front hubs, but I'm looking for something different.

I had the X into the dealership today to get things checked out before RVing season starts up. They called and said the front hubs were frozen solid, couldn't budge them for anything. $700 to replace them, $550 of that being parts.

They said these hubs usually freeze up from inactivity. Well, I use my 4WD at least 2-3 times per month, not necessarily because I need 4WD, but because I know the system will work better if it's exercised often. To install the Oilguard system on my truck yesterday, I put it in 4Low and crept up on ramps (one ramp in front of each wheel). I put it in 4low so it'll go up nice and easy without much throttle required. I guess what I'm saying is that the 4WD worked yesterday, so how could the hubs be frozen today? Did something else happen with them? Should I check something else?

I like the dealer I go to, but sometimes they "miss" a few things (this site has come in handy several times). I told them not to do anything to the hubs for now cause I'm looking into an aftermarket brand versus Ford stuff, but first I want to make sure they need replacing.:dunno

FWIW, I always leave the front hubs in "auto." I liked Crumm's explanation of how the front auto/lock hubs work: "auto" if you've got room to roll to engage 4WD, "lock" if you're stuck and need to engage without rolling. I've never moved the hubs out of "auto."

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just putting the truck in 4 low doens't mean the hubs acutally engaged and locked in... you can be in low range and still have the hubs unlocked, (this is why I ordered the manual ones). The only way to tell is take it out, put it in 4x4, manually lock the hubs in, get the X on wet grass or gravel and mash it. If you sit there and spin, the hubs are not locked. If you take off in the direction you're pointed, you're golden, and the dealership is full of XXXX. Oh yeah, aim for something soft!

:burnit

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
Frozen?

I put aftermarket warn hubs on my 1999 F-250. I had a similar problem, my hubs were stuck. they were in auto but were always locked in. which means that my 4X4 worked fine. the only way to tell if there was a problem is to lift up the front end with the truck with the hubs in auto, then turn the tire by hand. watch the u-joint on the axle, right behind the tire. If it turns your hubs are stuck in locked position, if it doesn't then your hubs should be ok.

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
Just putting the truck in 4 low doens't mean the hubs acutally engaged and locked in...

You're right. I should've mentioned that everything worked fine during each snowfall we've gotten up here. I did plenty of mashing and the 4WD worked each time. I hadn't used it in a few weeks though since we haven't had any snow.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I would highly suspect the dealership is trying to line their pockets.

I think you need to inspect them yourself.......its not hard to do.

Jack up a side, engage the hub, spin the tire and see if the ujoint on that side spins.

If they don't work, take the hub off and put a rebuilt kit in it.........lots cheeper than $550-$700.

I have 170k on mine and very little maintenance has been required on the oem parts to keep them working.

Tbar

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Tbar said:
I would highly suspect the dealership is trying to line their pockets.

I think you need to inspect them yourself.......its not hard to do.

Jack up a side, engage the hub, spin the tire and see if the ujoint on that side spins.

If they don't work, take the hub off and put a rebuilt kit in it.........lots cheeper than $550-$700.

I have 170k on mine and very little maintenance has been required on the oem parts to keep them working.

Tbar

Just got the truck back. The hub on both fronts is frozen--frozen in that I can't move it from "auto" to "lock". I'll try jacking up the front to do this test tomorrow. Doesn't look good right now.

Where would I get a rebuilt kit? I thought about Warn but it looks like all they have is manual locking hubs. I want hubs with auto and lock.

Hey Tbar, wanna drive up to Massachusetts and give me a hand since you just did yours? I'll buy you a beer?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I just did a quick test drive (keep in mind the front hubs are frozen in the "auto" position):

Truck drives fine in 2WD.

Truck engages in 4HI (no snow or sand nearby, so I tried doing a u-turn and the front was obviously engaged, rough turn, you know the deal).

Switched back to 2WD and it worked fine.

Still gonna do the Tbar test tomorrow, just thought I'd throw this info in for kicks.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
First, what I replaced recently and what you are looking at are two different things. I replaced the wheel hub/bearing assembly. What you are looking at is the 4X4 locking hub. Much easier problem to fix.

If you feel them engaged when you flip the switch in the cab the transfer case is working and the hubs are engaged. (don't ever turn the vehicle on dry pavement while they are engaged.......you will tear things up)

At this point there is no need to jack it up. If you cannot manually switch them back to the off position at the hub they indeed may be locked up. Take them off and see if you can get them freed up. Its real easy to do.

Remove the hub cap, remove the retaining ring on the outside of the assembly, pull them off. Start hosing them down with a lubricant and work the knob back and forth. See if they will free up before spending the money on a kit or replacement hub.(don't drive the vehicle with them off, freed up or not)

Tbar

Last edited:

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
try spraying them with wd-40 , mine were pretty firm when i bought my truck but I took some channel locks and broke them loose if you can get them lubed up then try you may be able to avoid repairing them. If they never get used they will build up dirt and corrosion around the selector knob, making it hard to lock them in manually but they will still work in auto. if you take them apart you will see what I mean.

Those hubs are designed by ford and made by warn. You will probably have to go to ford for the parts, probably costing you more than after market hubs. or you could try some local 4 wheel drive shops. Thats where I found all the parts I need. I rebuilt a set for my cousin.

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info from the rest of the crew. Yeah, I'd think for 500 to 700 bucks you could do the job yourself, and like they all said, it's not that bad a job. a little greasey maybe, but not impossible. If the service manual weren't so freakin' think I'd PDF you a few pages of it.

Since you're an X I'd think you would have a lighter than the 6000 pound axle up front. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find something for under the $275 mark from the dealer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58