Frozen front hubs after only 79k?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
I just pulled one of the locking hubs off. Took about 2 minutes to get it off. I didn't have the time to work on it and get it freed, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

Not sure what my service advisor was thinking.....

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:

I do, $$$$$$$$. Why would he fix it when he can make you buy a new one?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
I just pulled one of the locking hubs off. Took about 2 minutes to get it off. I didn't have the time to work on it and get it freed, but it doesn't seem that difficult.

When reinstalling the locking hub back in the hub, do I need to make sure all the teeth are aligned in the original position? When I looked this morning I took extra special care to mark it and realign it correctly, but does it matter?

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
You can put the hub in any old way so making alignment marks is not necessary. I know of no rebuild kits or serviceable parts except for the o ring that seals the locking hub to the wheel bearing hub. The only fix for them being frozen is to spray them with some penetrating oil and try to move the knob with some pliers. If this doesn't work the manual lock option is done but the auto part of it will work as long as there are no vacuum leaks in the system. I know of no aftermarket hubs that have the auto lock feature.
FMT

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the vacuum actuator located? I was under the impression that the auto hub would only engage when rotating and you're not stuck, ie, catch in a few revolutions? I know GM had it in the differential, but if it got too cold, or the temperature changed quickly, like going through water, it would contract and disengage. Stupid design really. I thought ours were only mechanical.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14