Fuel Capacity

JamesF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 CC 7.3 4x4. Supposedly, it'll hold 29 gallons of fuel. I've discovered that if I trickle the fuel in, I can add 5 more gallons of fuel after the pump clicks off.

So, my question is - at what point am I reaching the 29 gallon capacity of the tank, at the pump click off or after adding another 5 gallons?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
I have a 2002 CC 7.3 4x4. Supposedly, it'll hold 29 gallons of fuel. I've discovered that if I trickle the fuel in, I can add 5 more gallons of fuel after the pump clicks off.

So, my question is - at what point am I reaching the 29 gallon capacity of the tank, at the pump click off or after adding another 5 gallons?
I'd want to say right at pump kick off or shortly before but that's a guess.

Did you already harpoon the tank?

Bill

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
If you havent done the harpoon mod then the last 5 gallons you squeeze in it are taking you to 29 (if thats what the book says fits in it). You might be getting a little more than stated capacity, but not 5 gallons more.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
JamesF250 said:
Harpoon the tank? Hmmmm, I don't think so - at least not purposely.
If anything the tank will fill alot faster especially right to the filler neck :sweet

Here's a well done ARTICLE from SDD member Ford_Forgotton :thumbs

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
If you havent done the harpoon mod then the last 5 gallons you squeeze in it are taking you to 29 (if thats what the book says fits in it). You might be getting a little more than stated capacity, but not 5 gallons more.
I haven't harpooned my tank yet (it's on my "One of these DaysList") :oops:
I can get 4 to 5 gallons in after the pump clicks off.

Mike

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Glassdude said:
I haven't harpooned my tank yet (it's on my "One of these DaysList") :oops:
I can get 4 to 5 gallons in after the pump clicks off.

Mike
MIke,

Does that mean that when you are empty that you can get 33 to 34 gallons on board? Or is the nozzle clicking off at 25 gallons and then you are topping off to 29-30 gallons?

Mike

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
MIke,

Does that mean that when you are empty that you can get 33 to 34 gallons on board? Or is the nozzle clicking off at 25 gallons and then you are topping off to 29-30 gallons?

Mike
I have the 38 Gal. tank. When nearly empty it is not uncommon to fit 40 gals. So no I am not putting 5 gals more in the tank. I think the pump nozzle has a lot to do with it. Some may be more sensitive that others. :dunno

Mike

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Harpoon experience is they fill to the top and then click off. Difficult to squeeze a half of a gallon in to end on an even dollar amount.

My 29 gallon tank on the F250 is now a 34. I routinely run tank down to an 1/8th tank and refill with 29 gallons of fuel. Tank used to stop at 24/25 gallons and then I'd have to squeeze in a few more gallons. I cut off vent leaving an inch. It was 4 or 5 inches long, now it's a stub.

My 44 gallon tank on the X is now a 50. The vent was originally shorter than the trucks, I cut the vent off flush. The tank has high spots which hold more air for fuel expansion than the truck, allowing for complete removal of vent. When tank is at 1/8 Tank, it'll take 44 gallons and shut off. No need to try and squeeze additional fuel in, It's full. The X tank is neutered.

For the 38 gallon tank guys, my buddies truck had a vent that was maybe 3 inches long. Cutting it down to 1" added 4 gallons of capacity and the fuel nozzels shut off when full.

Hope this helps!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JamesF250 said:

I've had that same question. Yes I can get 5 more gallons after the pump clicks off. I have put 30 gallons in my 29 gallon tank before. I've always wondered how much the filler neck holds. I figure that, as large as the neck is, it should hold about a gallon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58