Fuel economy upgrades

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not really concerned with my fuel mileage, but like any vehicle owner I would like to get the best mileage possilble. What are the best modifications for fuel economy, and I could care less about the amount of hp or torque it adds. with gassers I know intake and exhaust are usually the best place to start, but an unsure it that is the same for diesel.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
The Holy Diesel Trinity ;) - Exhaust, Intake, and programmer/chip
Before I did my lift kit I was able to get 21 MPG on the freeway compared to about 16 MPG stock, now with the lift and big tires, I'm back to 15-16 MPG on the freeway.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Forgot to add, those numbers are of course, when I can keep my foot out of it, which is rare:sly

It's too much fun beating up on Duracraps, and Cummins on the Highway:thumbs

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular brand(s) that works best for the ford 6.0L. Since this is my first diesel I am only familiar with the main stream aftermarket companies like Bank's and bullydog.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say that the Cat delete pipe is worth about 2 mpg.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat delete is only worth sound and heat... I didn't see squat with mine. about the only way to gain mpg is stay under 10 psi of boost. Not always practical or even fun, but in that mode of operation I get 18 mpg anywhere from 50 mph to 75-80 mph.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Cat delete is only worth sound and heat...

What he said. And you can hear that turbo whine as it spools up. Get's a lot of fellow diesel owners looking around wondering "WTF?". Granted, I also "lost" the muffler somewhere between the time I took the truck into the exhaust shop and the time I left there... I'm still looking for it. I swear I am. :D

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Regardless of which fuel saving mods you get...driving mad, upset or angry will negate any savings. The best advice for good fuel economy is driving conservatively while in a good mood. :)

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of which fuel saving mods you get...driving mad, upset or angry will negate any savings. The best advice for good fuel economy is driving conservatively while in a good mood. :)

I completely agree. I can say that I am a good driver, atleast in the fact that I dont hot rod my vehicles. I would love to get into the ford and see what it can do, but I can not afford to break something and not have a vehicle for work.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
In that case, I think the general consensus is to leave it stock if you want some semblance of reliability. These 6.0's don't seem to like tuners (chips, frito lays, whatever) all that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58