Fuel economy upgrades

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case, I think the general consensus is to leave it stock if you want some semblance of reliability. These 6.0's don't seem to like tuners (chips, frito lays, whatever) all that much.

thanks for the advice. The previous owner of the truck had a magnaflow exhaust added, but im not sure how good it is or if he even went up in size. I know he replaced the muffler and tip, but thats all I know for sure.

Are air intakes and intake manifold mods good for fuel mileage, while keeping my realiability?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. The previous owner of the truck had a magnaflow exhaust added, but im not sure how good it is or if he even went up in size. I know he replaced the muffler and tip, but thats all I know for sure.

Are air intakes and intake manifold mods good for fuel mileage, while keeping my realiability?

NO, the air intake is plenty good on the 6.0, I would HIGHLY recommend keeping the stock air intake, as it's filtration and flow is hard to beat.

As far as fuel mileage, bug diesel trucks are not built for mileage, they are built to haul. I average 10-12 MPG (lots of heavy towing), I even got 9 MPG at 35,000lbs gross, and I'm pretty happy with that. I have an SCT and no cat, with a Walker big truck muffler. Sounds nice (WHISTLE) and runs cool :sweet

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
I'm running an AFE filter setup. Lots of dirt road driving, lots of dust.

Blackstone seems to be happy with the filtration results.

Will you get better fuel economy? Well... Don't mean to sound like (as a friend of mine once put it) a "snob", but I don't pay that much attention to fuel economy. When the tank gets past 1/2 full, I top it off, so I couldn't tell you.

I didn't buy the truck for fuel economy. I bought it because that Honda Civic couldn't pull 20K lbs behind it. :D

Last edited:

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock a/f, with 4" turbo back exhaust(no cat) and always get around 17mpg, no matter what mood I'm in.:tounge

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
Well i have a '05 F250 6.0 6spd and i have the afe St. 1, 4" t-back no cat exhaust and a Quadzilla xzt which is a towing/economy module and have had no reliability issues or anything and before ulsd i was always right around 20 mpg and was getting better before the switch. This chip is good for eco because it has a feature where unless you just hammer on it it doesnt give you the full power boost all the time so when just driving around town you're not hot rodding without really knowing it because of the chip.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i have a '05 F250 6.0 6spd and i have the afe St. 1, 4" t-back no cat exhaust and a Quadzilla xzt which is a towing/economy module and have had no reliability issues or anything and before ulsd i was always right around 20 mpg and was getting better before the switch. This chip is good for eco because it has a feature where unless you just hammer on it it doesnt give you the full power boost all the time so when just driving around town you're not hot rodding without really knowing it because of the chip.

Huh? Can you type that one more time please?

JRJ04

Reaction score
I would definately go with exhaust first. make sure its 4in turbo to tip. replacing the downpipe is where youll see the most change. i would go with an air intake next. i have a k&n on my 02 and have never had a single problem with it sucking dirt. just make sure you keep all the clams tight. if you go with the intake, id reccomend a pre-filter that goes over the filter. its about $25 and it is much easier to clean than the entire filter.

bigtrxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 dually with 6 spd and all i can do is about 10-11 mpg when im pulling my 40 ft. gooseneck and a load. I have 373 rear and its not a 4x4. I dont really hot rod mine although i do get on it from time to time.:D

bigtrxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 with 6 spd and im getting about 10-11 mpg while im pulling my 40 ft gooseneck and loaded.I dont hot rod it although i do get on it from time to time.:thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58