Fuel Filter Change

jamzin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 liter and I am going to attempt a fuel filter change.
I am aware that there are 2 filters and know their locations.
Are there any specific instructions in changing these filters or is it as simple as replacing the oil filter?
What are your recommended filter brand/s?
Someone told me once that you have to "prime" the system after the change, is that so? and how would you do that?
I am new to the diesel world and would apprciate any help offered.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jamzin,

I have an 03. Make sure to use a good 6mm hex wrench when you remove the drain plug on the primary filter housing (The one underneath). Have a drain pan ready and be ready to move once you start to get it open, it will pour fuel out. Once it is drained take the same 36mm socket you use to open the oil filter housing and remove the filter, it snaps into the lid just like the oil filter. Change the o-ring and snap the new filter in the lid and put it back on. The secondary filter (on the engine) is just as easy to replace as the oil filter.

I would use ONLY Motrocraft filters since the engine should still be under warrenty. There have been some issues with aftermarket filters that do not have the water seperator membrane on the primary filter and I have read on forum that Ford has voided warrentys because of the filter. I still use the MC filters just to be safe. Also, remember to change fuel filters at 10k intervals...... the 6.0 is really sensitive to plugged filters, I can feel a performace change as I get to the 10k mark on my filters......

On these truck they have an electric pump and they "prime" themselves. There is an air bleed valve in the secondary filter housing. Just turn on the key and wait for a few seconds before starting. I generally wait till I hear all the "noises" stop before I try to start it after a filter change.

Last edited:

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Make sure to use a good 6mm hex wrench when you remove the drain plug on the primary filter housing (The one underneath).

While you have the plug out, replace it with this plug so you don't have to worry about stripping out the hex-nut!

HFCM Drain Plug :sweet

NOTE: ITP is one of the SDD sponsors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14