fuel filter removal question

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
is there a special tool to use to remove the fuel filter in the framerail on my truck, i need to change it and im a little lost here...

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
bears,

First, I loosen the secondary filter lid on the engine.
Then, I remove the water drain from the lower front of the HFCM. This will be a 6mm hex. About the only allen wrench that will fit is the classic L shaped allen wrench, use the short side and try to stay out of the fuel stream.
To remove the lid and filter, the easiest way I have found is with a 36mm socket and ratchet. But, you can only move the ratchet 1 click at a time. You will get a bit a fuel from the housing, but not at bad if you drain it first.
The filter is normally snapped into the lid (Just like the oil filter). I have not been able to get the out together. I have to pop them apart, remove the filter from where it is trapped in the frame by...... everything, then remove the lid..... you will see what I mean when you are there.

Then, replace the O-ring on the lid. Feed the lid and filter back into its spot, snap the two together and reinsert into the HFCM. Thread it in, and tighten..... but remember that is a plastic/composite housing, so don't break it....
Remove the secondary, change filter and o-ring and put it back together. The secondary has a 1/2 square molded into the cap for a ratchet and/or extension. The primary does not.

Don't forget to close and tighten the drain plug. Cycle the key to the on position 3 or 4 times. Then start it up......

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I use this cheap socket set just for filters (Lisle 14650) that covers alot of different types of vehicles or you can get just the 36mm socket (Lisle 14500) for cheap. Lot of parts houses have them.

bomberman760

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Added bonus: same socket as the oil filter cap. So one specialty socket does both. You may be able to get more turn-per-pull on the rail fuel filter by using a Crescent wrench, and flipping the wrench each time to get more distance.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58