Help Needed Fuel Guage Problem

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I can explain my problem simply. I have a 2005 F-350 with a 6.0 I filled up my truck and all of a sudden it spewed out of the filler neck so I stopped. Then I tried to put in some more fuel and again it spewed out of the filler neck quite violently. Now I know my tank is full. But here is the problem, The fuel gauge is only at ½ full and it stayed there for 2 days before coming up to just slightly before the full mark. I had to make a trip so not knowing if the tank was full I went a tried to fill it again and it took about 5 gals to fill it to full. Now the gauge went to full, but now acts funny to me I drove the truck over 150 miles and the gauge hardly moved while driving. After I parked the truck I went out this morning and it now shows between full and ¾ of a tank of fuel. Could I have damaged the float some how while filling? Maybe the fueling station had to much pressure. Is there a way to check for proper operation?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help:)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My fuel gauge will act strange.... and the more that I see it, I think it is something with the control of the gauge in the dash itself and not the float in the tank.

If I leave the truck running while filling the tank, I can watch it rise with the level of the fuel and register full when it shuts off and I can see fuel in the fill tube. The "trip computer" in the overhead console does not see the added fuel reflected in the Miles to Go, until I shut off and restart the truck. That seems to be normal.

However, if I shut off the truck while filling, and lets say I am at ~1/8 tank and the "gas pump" light has come on to let me know that I need fuel. If I fill the tank with the truck off, when I restart the truck the gauge will remain at the 1/8 level with the light on, even if the tank is full. The overhead trip computer shows the fuel being added, because it will go from, for example, 100 mile to empty, to 658 mile to empty. This tells me the gauge it working and the computer that controls the overhead console is getting a proper signal from the tank, but the dash gauge does not respond. Once I start driving on this full tank, the gauge will eventually read full, but I have seen that take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. This is even if I have stopped and restarted the truck several times. Sorry this does not help alot, but these gauges can act wierd.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I doubt you damaged the float or gauge. These gauges read funny and have a strange set of rules as to how they work. Like Snicklas said "these gauges can act weird". Just keep an eye on it and use miles-to-go-til-empty.

Dave:)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt you damaged the float or gauge. These gauges read funny and have a strange set of rules as to how they work. Like Snicklas said "these gauges can act weird". Just keep an eye on it and use miles-to-go-til-empty.

Dave:)

Agreed..... when the gauge is behaving itself it is accurate. But I agree, keep and eye on the miles to go..... which I have found, on a 100% stock truck, that computer is fairly close.... but change stuff up..... and it can vary....

BTW - The Miles to Go WILL read 0 Miles to go................. or so I have heard:innocent

Also..... since we are on the subject of Fuel Gauge...... DO NOT RUN A 6.0 OUT of Fuel....... if you are fairly certain that you are going to run out of fuel.... SHUT THE TRUCK OFF AND WALK.... it will be much cheaper. The massive amounts of air entering the injectors can damage the injectors..... the resistance of the fuel inside the injectors actually "cushions" the plunger inside the injector. I always carry a 5 gallon jug of fuel in the truck..... just in case......

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thank you very much for all the reply's this is the very first time this gauge fiasco has happened since I have owned the truck. I bought it new. I'll keep checking the gauge and report back, If anyone else has anything they what to add to this please jump in.:sweet

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
DO NOT TRUST miles-to-go-til-empty!!!!! My truck will run out of gas at 100 miles to go till empty!!! I fill up every 300 miles or every 200 when towing. Use your odometer!!!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DO NOT TRUST miles-to-go-til-empty!!!!! My truck will run out of gas at 100 miles to go till empty!!! I fill up every 300 miles or every 200 when towing. Use your odometer!!!

Note.... I said a completely stock truck. If you modify the truck, it will affect the trip computer.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thank you very much for all the reply's this is the very first time this gauge fiasco has happened since I have owned the truck. I bought it new. I'll keep checking the gauge and report back, If anyone else has anything they what to add to this please jump in.:sweet

It's the sending unit and it'll get worse when it gets cold. I just had mine replaced after dealing with it for a couple of winters. I didn't have any issues during spring summer and fall so I didn't seem to worry about it but late last summer it happened so I had it replaced under my extended warranty. The sending unit if I remember was about $275. I think I saved the invoice I'll see if I can find it when I get home. It just got too irritating having the low fuel beep on the dash when I just filled the truck.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58