Question Fuel Heater Coolant Hose Replacement

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounted in the center, upper part of my engine compartment there's what I believe to be a fuel heater. It is silver in color with a removable lid to access the bowl inside, and it is mounted on a pedestal. There's two rubber hoses (appear to be 1") that go from it to the firewall, which I believe to be coolant hoses. The hoses show signs of age and weakness, having large bulges and soft spots around the clamps. I doubt this is vital to using the truck, as the coolest it ever gets here is mid teens. Is there a way to bypass it all together? If not, what would I refer to these hoses as when visiting the parts store? I called and asked about fuel Heater hoses and they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess that's Florida for ya

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you are describing. The Only fuel heater you should have, stock (OEM).. is in the bottom of the fuel filter bowl.

Post a picture ????

Joe

Last edited:

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pic would help.
I recently saw another guy that bought a used truck, had a fuel heater for bio/vege. He thought it was stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope this pic helps. It's definitely not something common around here. I haven't ever seen another 7.3 with one.

af3610832d66c77a08cf11c6c93df8ea.jpg

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious. The fuel bowl, behind and a tad left in your picture, has the heater inside. This part you have -- where do the fuel lines route to/from that connect into it?

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious. The fuel bowl, behind and a tad left in your picture, has the heater inside. This part you have -- where do the fuel lines route to/from that connect into it?
It's too dark for me to look right now, but I will check in the morning.

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple more pictures. The metal fuel lines do feed from the main fuel filter bowl to this contraption

1f28b212a6364eb703471758df655615.jpg

af61fa263223e4578df820566161b73f.jpg

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to replace the hoses. They are shot. It should not take that much pressure from the clamp to seal the hose to the fitting.

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to replace the hoses. They are shot. It should not take that much pressure from the clamp to seal the hose to the fitting.
I agree 100%. The problem is, NAPA has no clue what I'm talking about. That's why I'm trying to make sure I'm correct in saying "fuel heater."

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What you have is a fuel heater. It uses hot water to warm the fuel. When cold it will not do much to warm the fuel, but it will after a few minutes. THIS IS NOT A FORD PART!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58