fuel heater??

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I fail to see how a heated filter will help you if your tank has gelled solid. I'd suggest a pad heater for your tank that is plugged in at night AND a coolant heated in-tank Hot Fox. Plugging in the block heater will help the coolant heat faster as will a high idle chip setting. So you now can start on fully liquid bioD and as the engine warms up it will continue to heat the Hot Fox so your bioD will remain warm from the tank. This will eliminate the need for heated lines.

hotfox.jpg

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how a heated filter will help you if your tank has gelled solid. I'd suggest a pad heater for your tank that is plugged in at night AND a coolant heated in-tank Hot Fox. Plugging in the block heater will help the coolant heat faster as will a high idle chip setting. So you now can start on fully liquid bioD and as the engine warms up it will continue to heat the Hot Fox so your bioD will remain warm from the tank. This will eliminate the need for heated lines.

hotfox.jpg

That is a good idea, unfortunatelly sometimes out in the bush I don't have access to a receptacle. The tank of fuel also does not gel right up it will still flow it is just more viscous. I need everything on the the truck to be 12v only so the truck can be self sufficient. I may have to go back to a return line in the fuel pick up.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I should have had a coffee before went on the computer this morn. After checking out that hot fox thing on the link it seems pretty neat. Still I might just go with the return fuel in the tank and then a good fuel/air/water separator. Seems to be an easier install to me.:dunno

LA350

Diesel Newbie
Reaction score
You may want to pop over to Biodiesel & SVO Forums - Powered by eve community and do some reading on blending. It seems that most folks are having success blending w/ kerosene, Turpentine, and Naptha. The Kerosene is less vicious than Diesel so one will use less when thinning. The Turpentine spirits help keep things from separating while helping the lower the pour point/ freeze point and boosts the cetane level, and the Naptha does the same as kerosene but more of solvent.

The best advice is to work up your own blends by using glass jars in your freezer. Begin w/ 80% WVO and cut it until it stays pretty thin. Also most blenders who do not use some type of extra heat, ie heat exchanger or heated lines/tank have a dual tank system. They start on Dino and stop on dino allowing the WVO to be purged usually 5+ miles will do it. Others rig up elaborate systems.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58