Fuel leak when cold

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about these O-rings. Easy replace ?

Easy fix.

You can get a Fuel/water drain rebuild kit from Ford, or, chase down the proper size O rings (cheaper)... You could also check the SDD Site Sponsors.. they may have them too.

With a mirror, look on the back side of yer filter housing.. yul see the Yellow drain valve lever and associated screws* for the drain valve assembly.

Like TG sez.. put a extension hose on the drain tube (avoids a mess).. loosen the filter lid, drain the housing, remove the filter, remove the whole valve assembly, replace the O rings.. re-install and tighten, the valve assembly, filter and lid. Turn the key on a couple times to purdge (fill) the filter housing. Start the engine and inspect yer work.

Done Deal.

When you say BatterY did you mean Just One ? If so.. you should Allways replace BOTH Battery's on these things..

Joe

* Tighter.. is not better. Snug the screws down with Only the same force.. as it took to loosen them.

Last edited:

BigRedJeep

Mind if I Smoke
Reaction score
my truck was also leaking the past couple weeks. makeing my clutch slip like no tomorrow. found that the 4 torque head screws on the back of the filter bowl assm were loose. boggled my mind. haha

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Easy fix.

You can get a Fuel/water drain rebuild kit from Ford, or, chase down the proper size O rings (cheaper)... You could also check the SDD Site Sponsors.. they may have them too.

With a mirror, look on the back side of yer filter housing.. yul see the Yellow drain valve lever and associated screws* for the drain valve assembly.

Like TG sez.. put a extension hose on the drain tube (avoids a mess).. loosen the filter lid, drain the housing, remove the filter, remove the whole valve assembly, replace the O rings.. re-install and tighten, the valve assembly, filter and lid. Turn the key on a couple times to purdge (fill) the filter housing. Start the engine and inspect yer work.

what about replacing the whole drain valve???? would that do the same thing as the Fuel/water drain rebuild kit will do??

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about replacing the whole drain valve???? would that do the same thing as the Fuel/water drain rebuild kit will do??

"Rebuild kit", was prolly a bad choice of words. Replacement Valve Assembly would have been better ?

What I got from FORD had everything, except a new drain tube.

Joe

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
"Rebuild kit", was prolly a bad choice of words. Replacement Valve Assembly would have been better ?

What I got from FORD had everything, except a new drain tube.

Joe

got it , right at 60.00 at the dealership

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Bill at dfuser has the o-rings and valve kits also.

Related to the fuel leak is that the fuel pressure rises the colder the fuel gets for example when I have my heat exchanger off the fuel pressure is 75-76 psi when I open the hot coolant to the exchanger the fuel pressure drops back to 71-72 psi.

Just that little pressure rise can reveal a bad 0-ring,I'm not sure what psi the drain valve o-rings are rated to when not compromised.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Bill at dfuser has the o-rings and valve kits also.

Related to the fuel leak is that the fuel pressure rises the colder the fuel gets for example when I have my heat exchanger off the fuel pressure is 75-76 psi when I open the hot coolant to the exchanger the fuel pressure drops back to 71-72 psi.

Just that little pressure rise can reveal a bad 0-ring,I'm not sure what psi the drain valve o-rings are rated to when not compromised.

very interesting! I didnt know that happened.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I keep a check on the fuel pressure especially when the temps get cold outside,I worry more when it get's into the teens and down.

A few years ago we were traveling across Wyoming and it was zero degrees at noontime going across 80,the injectors to say the least were not happy(peezed off).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58