Fuel leak...

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
looks like the sensor (I guess) on the drivers side of the fuel bowl has a steady drip once every second. I tried tightening the brass nut but it just seems to spin w/out tightening. is there an O-ring inside that could have gone bad?

Thanks in advance!

Zach

Last edited:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno The arrow in your picture is pointing to a sensor (or the heater) on the regulator. I'm not sure which one it is, though..

Best bet is just replace the sensor (or connector for heater, whatever the case may be).

I had my filter restriction sensor go out, it did the same thing. The sensor itself leaks, not the connection, so no amount of tightening will fix it.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SENSOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You WILL crack the regulator housing! I know this from first hand experience.
The sensor has tapered threads and the further in you tighten it the more it wants to spread the hole and it WILL crack it.
Rick H...

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also replace the fuel rstriction sensor with a 1/8 NPT plug, but as Rick mentioned, don't overtighten it! Hopefully your regulator housing has not cracked already. Cheers!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
This is a 97' truck right? Isn't that the water in fuel sensor and not the restriction sensor? In a recent thread I learned that on early trucks the restriction sensor was on the fuel bowl but later they moved them to the FPR. The picture appears to be of the drivers side of the fuel bowl which is where the water in fuel sensor is, when the restriction sensor is on the bowl I think it is on the back-side. Either way it is probably leaking out the sensor housing rather than the threads so it needs changed.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the later trucks the fuel restriction sensor was moved from the bottom rear of the fuel bowl to the FPR. The water in fuel sensor should still be in the same spot below the fuel heater connection. Cheers!

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
I guess there is some discrepency about which sensor it is. I am under the impression that it is the fuel restriction sensor. please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont want to get the wrong sensor...

Thanks!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
From the location of the sensor and the year of the truck I would say Water in Fuel sensor. Your restriction sensor should be on your FPR.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58