Fuel Mileage?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the factory, 2006 F350 6.0 s/c 8 ft. bed, 4x4 manual trans. will arrive May 1st. I will be taking it on a 1200 mile break in trip. What fuel mileage should I expect?

Thanks

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 2005 Excursion with a 6.0 but we should be pretty close.

I keep my RPM's at 2000 which is about 70-71MPH. Last trip from NY to VA I got 20.8MPG. This was with the family and all the junk they bring for a week long trip up north. I only have 5500 miles on my X so it's not even broken in yet!

I would think that with your manual trans you would get the same or better. If you don't have a bed cap I would keep the tailgate down so there is less air drag.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
nascarmike-
hate to break it to you but the old 'tailgate' down is a myth. it actually was proven to be not a good thing on mythbusters. it was pretty cool how they did it. what they found was that w. the gate up the wind comes up and over the cab and comes down right behing the tailgate, for that perfect streamlined effect. when the gate is down the wind comes up and over the cab and hits the tailgate in the down position causing more drag.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
ah yes the little ford truck in the aquarium "wind tunnel" that was a neat episode, the tailgate actually creates its own burble layer to cause the air to flow smoothly over it and down the back of the tailgate for a clean exit.

and with the gate down the burble flows out and the air coming over teh cab gets trapped and creates a swirling vacum effect which is what caused the extra drag and lower MPG.
never would have believed it if i hadnt seen it.

also the tailgate down bouncing around can cause stress cracks on the bed side posts lower flange welds, which in turn causes the bed sidewalls to flex like little winglets :D

19/20:tounge
we get a solid 16 or so now empty :sweet

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I get 14 no matter what I do, and I have an 06 250 4x4 8 foot bed, supercab automatic.

I did get 16 out of it once, and I emphasize once.

Question on the tailgate thing, and I agree by the way that up is better than down. What if you have a tonno cover, or a cap? improvement or hinderance?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Did a little experiment today on the way home from work.....

Set cruise at 68 mph stayed in the right lane (so I wouldn't get run over) and had the windows up and A/C blasting, according to the Lie-O-Meter I was avg 22.8 mph. Now that's empty bed except the tool box and full tank of liquid gold.

06 F-350 Crew LongBed 4x4 3.73 Auto.

Even if the Lie-O-Meter is off and actual was only 19-20 that's better than my Exploder ever got and much more comfy to boot.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info...

I should have added that the differential is a 3.73 posi. That is very interesting that the tailgate up is less drag. I wounder if that was tested with a regular cab, s/c, or crew cab? And was that with the 6 ft. bed or 8 ft. bed?
Thanks for all the info, and I guess I will need to melt down some more gold to pay for all the fuel I am going to use. 1200 miles / 14 miles per gallon @ $3.00 per gallon = $257.14
I am so old that I can remember driving from San Diego to Riverside and it cost me $1.00 for gas. That was in a 1960 Ford Falcon, 144 ci six. Now it would be different because I have put a straight axle on the Falcon and put in a 428SCJ engine, C6 trans, 9" differential, 4.11 gears. I have not checked but probably would get 7 or 8 mpg at cruise speeds. How to get 17 mpg out of a Ford 427?
You stick it in a 66 Fairlane, 3.25 gears, set idle at 1100 rpm, slip the clutch to get it rolling, (do not touch gas pedal). shift through gears and drive from Riverside to Corona. (level, no hills). It took forever, and would not do it again, but it did get 17 mpg.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
kleetus- as far as the cap/cover? was not mentioned in my recollection.
maxtor- it was with two identical s-10's i believe. either way, it was nothing big.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I know it wasn't addressed, I'm posing the question. When I got 16, I didn't have the cover on. just curious.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
It was two identical f-150's ext cab long bed, I believe if I remember right. Not saying anything bad, but I think it was those trucks if I remember right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl