Fuel Mileage?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to be something different with the fuel... nobody around here in Western PA has gotten ***** for mileage lately....

firedude9052000

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mileage

I stopped at my local FORD dealer today and I was speaking with the POWERSTROKE TEAM (you know the team that goes around the nation and answers questioins and verify or denies rumors of the super duty pick ups and the powerstroke engines) and one of the questions that I asked them about was mileage and I was told that it would kind of depend upon the quality of fuel the in the tank. This was said to mean and later explained to me that it is dependent upon cetane rating and the test conditions were under ideal conditions of 40-45 cetane ratings where in most parts of the US unless you use a product to boost your cetane rating you will only realize a 30 to 32 rating. So ideally he said that you should get around 17-18 mpg under ideal fuel conditioins but real world, with an unladen truck you will see around 15-17 mpg in town and as much as 20 mpg on the highway, all this is unloaded but with a loaded truck expect around 12 to 14 mpg city or highway. Hope I have shed a little light on the subject for you.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello firedude9052000 and welcome to SSD.com. Glad you droped by, Come back anytime. Let us know where you are from and what truck you have.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual trans.

I think that with the manual trans, there is less parasitic drag in the drive train.
Therefore better fuel mileage. Although most of my trip was with the A/C on, because it was hot in Las Vegas and through the desert, which would increase parasitic drag. It would be interesting to see if any newer trucks (my truck was built april 2006) are getting 18 mpg or better. Possibly IH or Ford has found a better tune for the 6.0 that earlier trucks could use.
Just a thought.

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
red 6 0-no said:
nascarmike-
hate to break it to you but the old 'tailgate' down is a myth. it actually was proven to be not a good thing on mythbusters. it was pretty cool how they did it. what they found was that w. the gate up the wind comes up and over the cab and comes down right behing the tailgate, for that perfect streamlined effect. when the gate is down the wind comes up and over the cab and hits the tailgate in the down position causing more drag.

The mythbusters "TEST" was so flawed as to render the results useless. First they didn't baseline the trucks involved!! Second they used the F150 CC Short Beds "SHORTIES" The trucks almost didn't have a bed!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl