Fuel Pressure Gauge & Shimming

dpantazis

Reaction score
Greetings all-

I was hoping to shim my FPR this weekend. I was also hoping to add an underhood guage to monitor the pressure. I was hoping to get some input and some comments on my concoction.

I have 'borrowed' an image from the powerstrokeshop.com of the fuel filter assemby-
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...catalogid=3660&siteid=214083&categoryID=73730

1. So the plug marked "606819C1 Connector" is the scheader valve to get unscrewed and a grease gun hose to get screwed in?

I was going to use a glycerin filled gauge and a length of grease gun hose and a couple of fittings.

Here are the parts I was thinking of using from McMAster Carr, mcmaster.com - (mostly because they are close and i have an account)

3850K24, Glycerin-Fill 304SS Case Gauge 1% Mid-Accurcy 1-1/2" Dial, 1/8" NPT Male Bottom, 0-100 PSI

2044K41 , Standard Flexible Extension Hose 12" Length​

2. Anyone have any thoughts or comments on my approach?

3. Do we have to bleed off the pressure of the fuel system before we open the filter housing or remove the regulator? If so, how? Spraying geysers of diesel would not be fun.

Thanks

Dennis

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
POKE HERE for reference of the port to the drain valve.
AND HERE for pic of my regulator. You can see the hose set up going to the gauge on the right. DON'T lose the plug, I don' think you can get just the plug. I believe it's a #3o-ring boss to JIC, 90 degree JIC on stainless hose, JIC to 1/8npt. I now have different gauge position so I don't use the 90 off the port. Hope that helps until the FPR shim guru can respond.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I recommend an "in-cab" gauge with a pressure isolater vs one where you have to open the hood to look at. An underhood variety is only good for checking your fuel pressure at idle. It won't tell you if your fuel pressure is falling off when pulling that big assed trailer up that big assed hill. That would be indicative of a weak/failing fuel pump. A pressure gauge in the cab will tell you if your fuel pump is keeping up with the demand when called upon to do so.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
WOW! That was fast! Excellent pics!

I understand the in-cab pressure/isolator benefits. That is something I plan on doing but have not found an 'inexpensive' electric fuel pressure guage yet.

Silly me forgot about the fuel filter drain valve.

I need to find references to JIC fittings. I know I saw it somewhere.

Hopping the shimming experts will be by. Maybe I will catch them on chat later.

Dennis

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
An electric one is not required. You can install a mechanical one with a pressure isolater. That will prevent fuel from entering the cab.

I got mine from Diesel Power Products

on edit:
Click HERE and scroll down to see the 100psi gauge, isolater and install kit.

Install tip: use teflon thread tape on all the fittings.

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told to use a "snubber" to help with the readings. Something about the diesel fuel system creates too many "pulses" and the guages end up jumping all over. Is this the case with the powerstroke?

Im getting ready to do the ITP diesel regulated return with an autometer cobalt electric fuel pressure gauge and Im getting a few PMs saying to use something to dampen the pulses or I may damage my guage.

Im taking it all with a grain of salt, but would like a little more input on that from people who already have a fuel guage.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well........mine is the standard setup and the gauge is still under the hood. It seems to work just fine the way it came.

I have routed this gauge temparily up to the windshield via a hose to observe my reading under wot.

Tbar

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I was told to use a "snubber" to help with the readings. Something about the diesel fuel system creates too many "pulses" and the guages end up jumping all over.

Mine's been very stable. Initially I had problems with the anti-freeze leaking out between the isolater and gauge. I re-did all the fittings with teflon tape and that fixed the leaks. The next pain was getting air purged from the same line from the isolater to gauge. But once those hurdles were crossed, I've been very happy with it.:thumbs

Go HERE to see my fuel gauge on the A-pilar, it's the top one.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Antonio for the fuel pressure test port I used a 7/16"-20 UNF-2A x 1/4" NPT fitting to connect up the pressure hose and gauge with.

Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14