Fuel Pressure Gauge & Shimming

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple hints Dennis...

Back the FPR houseing screws out, and back in, Equaly.

Try and remember how much "umph" it takes to break the fuel return line nut loose. Use the same umph... to tighten it back up.

Reason ?: The whole exsternal assembly is made of Pot metal. It'l crack & snap off from un-equal/to much "umph".

Use a Bungee to hold the fuel line back, while you work.

Put a rag down in and under the FPR area, to catch things that >WILL< fall. And they >WILL< fall.

I use the #4 SS washers, in the bottom of the spring cup... but if you use something else... in the FPR cover (?) you can use a dab of grease to hold, the something else, in place, while you put the FPR cover back on.

:dunno

JOE

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Put a rag down in and under the FPR area, to catch things that >WILL< fall. And they >WILL< fall.

LOL..................you got that right!!! :cussing:

You will add a good 30 minutes to the project trying to find little plunger, spring, bolt and or washers that you drop. :rolleyes:

Tbar

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Yall spent an hour trying to find my torx bit, that still has yet to be found. :eek:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
LOL..................you got that right!!! :cussing:

You will add a good 30 minutes to the project trying to find little plunger, spring, bolt and or washers that you drop. :rolleyes:

Tbar

;) :D :roflmao Yip. I fugured out where those pieces'n parts go..... the SAME place that one sock goes, in the clothes dryer.:eek:

Dropped one of them 12 point turbo bolts..... 4 years ago..... aint found it YET. Used a magnet... even a Black Lite.... only thing that showed with the Black lite was my :censored: Blood.

:D :D

dpantazis

Reaction score
The land of MISFIT toys

thanks for the cautions- i was not aware of all the bits and peices popping out. the wiki page could use some tweaking... I may try to take pics and add to it.

yeah, those things seem to go to the land of misfit toys i think. i dropped a 13mm/14mm depp well socket getting the headlights out and it fell into la la land.

i will check on those fittings based on the part numbers. THANKS GUYS!

though, we are now getting forcasted for 5-8 tonite and its starting to spit now. mods may have to wait a few more days.

dennis
still smelling anti-freeze

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Fuel pressure

I started out to get an electric gauge but they shure don't give them away. I ended up with a 1.5 liquid filled gauge. I zip tied it to the wiper arm for a test run then mounted it under the hood. I have played with the pressure in 5lb increments up to 130. The 57 to 100 is huge but the 100 to 130 was minimal. In fact at wfo the pump stalled out. Didn't pop any fuses or breakers, it just quit. I used a jump lead from the batt. down and after swiping the batt. post three or four times the pump restarted. Hey, does anybody know where you can buy the aftermarket springs to raise the pressure with out shim's?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The 57 to 100 is huge but the 100 to 130 was minimal.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wooooo................you don't want that fuel pressure anywhere near that high!!!

You are trying to get in the range of 68-70psi. Anything higher is going to distroy your pump.........

Tbar

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tbar said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Wooooo................you don't want that fuel pressure anywhere near that high!!!

You are trying to get in the range of 68-70psi. Anything higher is going to distroy your pump.........

Tbar

:wow :wow :wow

Amongst other things too! I don't think the seals on filter housing will hold that pressure, maybe injector seals too. I agree, way too high a pressure!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YUP, WAY TO HIGH. What you've got going is Spring deflextion... the spring is bound or kinked it the cup. You CAN split the Filter case.

What yer look'n for is 68-70 psi @ idle, 65-68 running, or under load. ( IH tech sez)

A Regulated Rreturn set-up is the way to go, if you wana spend the Bucko's. But, if you wana do it with shims (?) ... I'v found that 3, #4 SS washers, in the cup, under the spring (spring seated on the washers), will yield 68-70 psi, at adle, on >MOST< 7.3s.

Ther are NO specs on the spring tension strength. It is, what it is.... hence shimming the spring, or regulateing the flow to obtain FPR pressure.

:dunno

JOE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14