Fuel Regulator Screen Cleaning ** Updated **

happeetxn

9/11 Never Forget
Reaction score
OMG,
I asked a couple of times on another web site how to do that with ZERO replies. Scroll thru some postings an wa - la here it is. OUTSTANDING.
Craig

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You just needed to ask in the right place. If you are not asking about big injectors and making 1000hp you might as well talk to the wall over there at tds. When they split the forum they seemed to forget about the guys that needed a little help with maintenance from time to time. Hang out here and we will try and take good care of you. In return all we ask is that you go get all your buddy's and bring them over here too:sweet

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
I wrote this up a while back. Yes the rag is important, -mad I think I mentioned it in my post, as you will probably see. I can write it/anything you want into a decent html webpage if you like. I have yet to look at the wiki to see how it works. I'll check it out later, too many *hiccup* drinks to*hiccup*night.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I need to clean my screen out one of these days.

:oops: Well talk about an embarrassment. I should not even tell you guys about this but I will :oops:

This thread is over two years old and as I posted I needed to clean my screen out. I have been doing the Q-tip through the fuel canister routine for many years and have never came up with anything on the Q-tip so I have just been spacing the fuel screen for over ten years as I figured a clean Q-tip = a clean screen. My theory was incorrect. I have had a very small oil leak in the valley for years but this summer it developed into a much larger undercarriage oiling mess. It turned out to be the HPOP gasket and as you know to get the HPOP out you have to remove the fuel bowl. Well when the fuel bowl is out why not clean the screen. When the regulator was removed the screen was found to be completely plugged over with crud and it actually took a knife to scrape the heaviest deposit off. Once everything was reassembled and the air bled out I found that the truck pulls, idles and just plain runs better than it has in years. It is also nice to have a nice clean dry valley.

Moral of the story .... Clean Your Screen! I can tell you that the Q-tip method is a waste of time :oops:

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seperated FPR from the bowl on my truck for years,I wonder if the Q-Tips just pack the crud in the screen.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I just checked my CD and this is what it says:

1.Remove the air cleaner assembly and the air inlet tube. Refer to «Section 03-12».

2.Remove the fuel pressure regulator cap, spring, and spool valve from the fuel control valve.

3.Thoroughly clean the fuel pressure regulator bore in the fuel control manifold.

Installation

1.Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

In five years on diesel forums I have yet to see a post about removing the fuel pressure cap, spring and spool valve. :dunno

BTW, I have used Q-Tips for the last five years and never removed the screen. I fear what the inside of the screen looks like. Is there a recess where the screen fits and the o-ring is outside of it?

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your screen is rountinely clogging up would that indicate failing injector o-rings? Considering an injector replacement later this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58