Announcement Fuel system

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Well i installed the in tank mod today along with a filtration sytem and fuel pump. And all i can say is HOLY CRAP this truck is so quite you can't even hear it run in the house know and the power is amazing. My wife asked what i did to it and she was even amazed how quite it was. I did remove the mixing chamber from the tank and later in the day i took it apart and the screens were full of crap and the where the return hose hooks to the bottom of it was almost pluged. :sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the RV.. along the Salinas river

Well i installed the in tank mod today along with a filtration sytem and fuel pump. And all i can say is HOLY CRAP this truck is so quite you can't even hear it run in the house know and the power is amazing. My wife asked what i did to it and she was even amazed how quite it was. I did remove the mixing chamber from the tank and later in the day i took it apart and the screens were full of crap and the where the return hose hooks to the bottom of it was almost pluged. :sweet

;);tu

(the HX mod will make it quieter yet.. and even more better :sly)

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pulling the check valves out of the pump does the same thing as the HPX..adding the HPX gives you 2 more chances for an oil leak...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Good to hear! So have you been able to fig yer mpg yet? I need to do this to mine too. I already looked at the wiki to get my feet wet. Did you use all the materials they said to use or did you do anything different? So how much is the power noticeable now?

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
New on here and do not have a clue what the tank mod is. Can somebody please provide a link or a description so I can learn about what you are discussing?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
New on here and do not have a clue what the tank mod is. Can somebody please provide a link or a description so I can learn about what you are discussing?

I hope I can do the tank mod soon. Been wanting to for quite a while. Any pics?

The "In Tank" mod was originally known as the "Hutch" mod. Years ago on a formerly popular "diesel" forum that many people would "stop" by at, a member called "Hutch-in-Aigusta" discovered problems with the 7.3 fuel system where air was getting sucked into the fuel system causing a noisey, poorly running engine. He was the first to develop what became known as the "Hutch" or "in-tank" mod.

While I'm not saying one way or another to buy the kit they sell, these guys do have a good bunch of pics that show the mod:
Tank mod and pre-pump filter mod instructions

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And along with the "Hutch" mod... There's another source for Air getting into the fuel system....

The [Inlet] fitting on the Fuel Pump.

It's a pressure type, quick disconnect fitting. But because it's on the inlet (suction) side of the pump.. after time & miles.. it can start to suck air in, as the fuel is drawn from the tank.

20 minute, $15.00 dollar fix.

Remove the QD fitting assembly. Replace it with a piece of Diesel Friendly fuel hose and 2 band clamps.

Best way to see this is to crawl under the truck , under the D-seat.. on the inside of the frame rail, locate the fuel pump. On the line leading back to the Tank, yul see the fitting assembly.. and know what needs to be done, with the hose & clamps.

Joe

(If you have over 1/2 a tank of fuel.. this mod, by it's self, will show a smoother and quieter idle.. within a minute or so.. first time you start it.. as the air gets purged) (the "Hutch" mod eliminates the 1/2 a tank need)

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I couldnt remember where I saw the mods for the fill neck and isnt there a mod to make the fuel tank vent better when filling? I think if you do this mod, you can get more fuel in it??

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58