Announcement Fuel system

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldnt remember where I saw the mods for the fill neck and isnt there a mod to make the fuel tank vent better when filling? I think if you do this mod, you can get more fuel in it??

When/if you do the Hutch mod, while you have the sending unit/fuel pick up assembly out.. reach in the tank and cut the (ford) vent tube off (Harpoon mod).. you can then fill up.. without having to Dribble the last 5/7 gallons in... cuz the vent tube wouldn't letcha. (the Dribble factor)

AND... while you have the fill pipe disconnected.. to do the Hutch & Harpoon mod's... remove the three screws that hold the fuel fill port in-place.. remove it, jig it up in a vise.. use an 1 5/8" hole saw to cut that Small Nozzle Only.. restrictor thingy out. Clean it up real good and reinstall. THEN, you can use the Big Truck nozzles to fill up.. with no back splash, burp or beltch'n.. cuz the tank Vents like it should and the Big nozzles can be used.

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
When/if you do the Hutch mod, while you have the sending unit/fuel pick up assembly out.. reach in the tank and cut the (ford) vent tube off (Harpoon mod).. you can then fill up.. without having to Dribble the last 5/7 gallons in... cuz the vent tube wouldn't letcha. (the Dribble factor)

AND... while you have the fill pipe disconnected.. to do the Hutch & Harpoon mod's... remove the three screws that hold the fuel fill port in-place.. remove it, jig it up in a vise.. use an 1 5/8" hole saw to cut that Small Nozzle Only.. restrictor thingy out. Clean it up real good and reinstall. THEN, you can use the Big Truck nozzles to fill up.. with no back splash, burp or beltch'n.. cuz the tank Vents like it should and the Big nozzles can be used.

Joe

I got my tank out tonight. I felt that tube thats inside the tank and dang, you can def fit more fuel in there! Im def gonna do all the other mods too since its out. Luckily I was able to take the tank out myself and I hardly had any fuel left.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my tank out tonight. I felt that tube thats inside the tank and dang, you can def fit more fuel in there! Im def gonna do all the other mods too since its out. Luckily I was able to take the tank out myself and I hardly had any fuel left.

Yep ;tu one of those PVC cutters will do a Nice Clean job of cut'n that thing off. Or, what ever works...:dunno

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well I bought my fuel hose. Its diesel hose rated at 225psi. For fuel injection too. Also got alot of hose clamps so I can use two on each fitting. Got some union fittings. Im lookin for a prepump filter. Im gonna try tractor supply for one. Any other ideas? I also still need to get some tubing for the sending unit foot and extending my return out past the float. So far Im gettin it done. I will start on it tonight after I get off work at 4. I've done a lot of reading on these mods and seems the number one thing is the motor is quieter and seems to have better throttle response?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was guna mention.. now would be a good time to consider a pre-filter.. hooked up from, and the too.. where the QD fitting assembly was.

Doing these simple Mods.. yer guna get a smoother, quieter idle, noticabley better throttle responce.. and just an overall... better running 7.3.

;tu:dunno

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I was guna mention.. now would be a good time to consider a pre-filter.. hooked up from, and the too.. where the QD fitting assembly was.

Doing these simple Mods.. yer guna get a smoother, quieter idle, noticabley better throttle responce.. and just an overall... better running 7.3.

;tu:dunno

Joe

I got my truck back together tonight. I had to go get some 3/8ths fuel hose too because I just couldnt get that 5/16ths hose on for the life of me. I did double clamp ALL fittings. I drilled out my filler neck bigger for the big truck nozzles, did the hutch mod a lil differently cause I accidently bought some really thin aluminum tubing and it would snap off before I got to a 90 degree angle so I couldnt bend it in a perfect z bend. Its just angled at like 120 I think. I will post a pic of it. Also cut off the filler pipe and vent pipe inside the tank to fit more fuel in it. Put in my new fuel filter on top of the motor finally. I still need to get a pre pump filter. No one around here keeps one in stock. What kind should I go with? I want a clear sediment bowl type with a drain on it.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Racor is the best diesel filters, bar none. They are used by all of the major truck makers and all of the off-road equipment makers. www.racor.com

Dave :thumbs

Yea those seem to be the most common ones to install. I also saw that Dahl is used some too. I've been lookin on ebay for filters. Do you have one on yer truck?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the Dahl set-up. Got it from Dieselsite..with all the pieces'n parts.

'round here the Dahl filters seem hard to find.. so I use a Wix, as a replacement.

Works fer me :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58