Question Gear Reduction Starters?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I saw a video on youtube regarding gear reduction starters to where they enable the engine to fire up alot quicker,has anyone installed one of these units on their Powerstroke?

I thinks the starter on our 02 is going due to it's sluggish cranking. Both batteries and alternator are new (August 2009).

tbtrammell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
yah, i bought one from DB Electrical on EBAY, it was cheap, like about $80, and it really spins it over and its been on now about a year with no problems, also got a honda 4-wheeler starter at the same time, its also been good.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yah, i bought one from DB Electrical on EBAY, it was cheap, like about $80, and it really spins it over and its been on now about a year with no problems, also got a honda 4-wheeler starter at the same time, its also been good.

good info!!! anyone else with a starter like this???

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the SD trucks already came with a gear reduction starter from the factory the OBS trucks were a direct drive starter from the factory the SD starters will bolt up to the OBS trucks with no problem and start them faster. Most people are not comparing apples to apples but a brand new gear reduction starter to an older almost worn out starter, gear reduction or not the new starter is likely to out perform the older one.

The ones from DB electrical are supposed to be a higher performance starter that has more power than the stock units in addition to the fact that it is a gear reduction starter.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys,I may go ahead and get one ordered in,the original starter is really draggin:innocent

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I ordered the Denso Gear Reduction Starter,can't wait for it to arrive early next week!:cool:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Good call! Let us know how it is. Switching over to a gear reduction starter in the pete made a world of difference, and it's got a lifetime warranty too!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Installed!

It took some shoe-horning to fit it but it's done,I had to grind off just a little bit of the crossmembers edge(maybe 1/16")to get it to fit nicely.

I took a few side by side comparison pics which I'll post.

Took maybe an hour or so to knock the install out.

How does it crank? Cranks like it's turning over a DT466 or 530,it's that fast :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58