Gears Question

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I looked for the answer to this, but couldn't find it. On my early 99 f-350 dually, what do I have under this thing? Dana 80 rear and dana 60 front?
Sterling rear? I am trying to buy an aftermarket ring and pinion set for both and no one seems to know what the hell i am talking about. I am sure you guys would know. Thanks in advance.:sweet

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
look at your axle code on the door sticker, post it up here someone or myself will have the info to tell which gears you have, i have the axle codes so if ya post it up i can tell ya what ya have. I have 4:10 in my dually

Neal

atk

Reaction score
Honestly I looked for the answer to this, but couldn't find it. On my early 99 f-350 dually, what do I have under this thing? Dana 80 rear and dana 60 front?
Sterling rear? I am trying to buy an aftermarket ring and pinion set for both and no one seems to know what the hell i am talking about. I am sure you guys would know. Thanks in advance.:sweet

if you can get your code of the tag on the rear end and call the dealer, they should beable to tell which 1 you have....hope this helps....

as for the front, should be a dana 60....

Big Stu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at your axle code on the door sticker, post it up here someone or myself will have the info to tell which gears you have, i have the axle codes so if ya post it up i can tell ya what ya have. I have 4:10 in my dually

Neal[/QUOTE

I got 4.10's in it now, the previous owner told me that. I am limited to a 5.38 ratio as far as I know then, was hoping to get it around 6.38 or so with these new monster tires, but nobody makes something that numerically tall. Thank you everyone for the help though, sure appreciate it.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tallest gear I've been able to find is also 5.38's. I believe the only option is to change the axles to ones that they make the higher gear ratio's for.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hah and here im thinking i wouldnt mind having a set of 3.55s so i could
improve my mileage a little...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
55 mph is all the speed you will see with 5.38s. Maybe a mph or two more but not much more. I am not saying that is the top speed, but the comfortable cruzing speed.

Dave

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
55 mph is all the speed you will see with 5.38s. Maybe a mph or two more but not much more. I am not saying that is the top speed, but the comfortable cruzing speed.

Dave

With the 42" meats he is spinning 5.38's would bring it closer to stock with power.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14