gettin' ready for mods... where should i start???

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
hey i'm gettin' ready to start doin' some mods on my OBS 7.3 and i was just wondering some of ya'lls opinions on where i should start. what mods should i start with. keep in mind that i'm 16 yrs old so i do have a pretty tight budget.:ZigBang:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Don't worry about sound, that won't improve the performance of the truck. If you want some sound put some 4" stacks on it.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Before you do anything, you should get gauges. Analog or digital - either will do.

Pyro is required, Transtemp helps if you tow w/ an automatic, and boost is more fun to look at, but is helpful as a trouble shooter.

After that, get an intake - if you're on a budget follow my DIY intake in the wiki files.

After that straight pipe your exhaust to stay on budget - that will give you about 70% of the benefit of a full 4" TB setup (and will cost between 0 and 60 bucks depending if you do the work and how you get thep pipe.)

Then you can try chips - superchips/bullydog/hypertech if you don't want to go too extreme or break the bank. Alll of the above can be had used on Ebay for about 100 bucks.

If you follow this route, you can spend as little as 300 on gauges, 25 on the intake, 0 on the exhaust and 100 on the chip. Basically 500 bucks will buy you almost 100 hp - that's quite a bit for the money. You'll get better fuel mileage if you stay out of it, you will be able to smoke, and depending upon if you have an AUTO or Manual - you can start smokin ricers! :D

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
well i have a 5sp. manual, but i have kept up with a lancer evolution until about 1/2 way through 4th. thats when he started pullin' off from me. my future goal beat that d*** lancer. his turbo was loud as hell when he shifted! louder than mine is with no exhaust past the cat. one question though on my exhaust i have already hollowed out the cat. converter and muffler. would that be good or should i just get a muffler and cat delete pipe?

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
well i have a 5sp. manual, but i have kept up with a lancer evolution until about 1/2 way through 4th. thats when he started pullin' off from me. my future goal beat that d*** lancer. his turbo was loud as hell when he shifted! louder than mine is with no exhaust past the cat. one question though on my exhaust i have already hollowed out the cat. converter and muffler. would that be good or should i just get a muffler and cat delete pipe?

Your truck must be something else - I can't keep up with an lancer EVO with my mods - at the mid 14's in 1/4 from factory, it's hard for even a chipped 7.3 to keep up.

I'd straight pipe both, but the DownPipe is the next most restrictive part on your exhaust, at times it's squished down almost an inch!

With your setup - get a Pyro and Boost gauge, no need for trans temp.

Last edited:

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
yeah well the guy in the lancer was probably messin' with me.lol. thats probably why he just kinda took off when i got to 4th gear. i've seen that little car race a resident trans am and get it's ***** whooped though. that was really funny. but yeah i know my truck ain't fast enough to keep up with an Evo.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
let me make sure i'm correct-- delete pipes for cat. and muffler, downpipe, DIY intake, guages, and a chip... what is the maximum hp i could get out of a multi-position chip? with all those other mods with it. i'm tryin' to outrun my brothers dodge. all he has is an edge comp box, 4" straight pipe, autometer guages. could i do it with these mods or will i need more?

BEECHBM69

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
let me make sure i'm correct-- delete pipes for cat. and muffler, downpipe, DIY intake, guages, and a chip... what is the maximum hp i could get out of a multi-position chip? with all those other mods with it. i'm tryin' to outrun my brothers dodge. all he has is an edge comp box, 4" straight pipe, autometer guages. could i do it with these mods or will i need more?

I'm not sure what the max is, but I know you are limited by the injectors. Once you get injectors, then your next limit is High Pressure Oil. This is provided your clutch is still holding up :D . There is no end to it once you start.:burnit

Dan

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
#1,gauges!!!!!
#2,tymar or DIY tymar intake
#3,3" downpipe and 4"exhaust.
#4,chip.dont waste your time with tuners and banks garbage
#5,clutch and single mass flywheel kit
#6,injectors
#7,intercooler
#8,oil for injectors
#9,electric fuel system for big injectors

gauges,ive got these in both of my trucks.you can still use the trans temp in a 5 speed truck.just need to pull one of the PTO covers off the tranny and have a fitting welded to it to fit the temp sensor in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GAUG...3QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46100QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

exhuasti have this system on my truck:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...9QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33630QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

for the fuel system,BIG OIL,chip and injectors i HIGHLY recomend www.beansdieselperformance.com .you aint gonna find better customer service than what ryan gives!!!!!without upgradeing injectors the most your gonna get with all these mods is around an extra 70HP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64