Getting Closer (TT first time use)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it not have a 12 v battery on it somewhere? Does it have any 12 v lights
inside the RV. Check the dates the tires were made, if they are over 5 years old
get new one, ask me how I know. LOL
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the dates the tires were made, if they are over 5 years old
get new one, ask me how I know. LOL.....
Doug

.... or me ;)

(I went thru the GoodYear "Marathon Trailer Tire " Flail-X... 4 year old tires.. on a 1 year old, to me, 5r, bought new. Do the math ?)

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
It has a place for a battery at the tongue, but I was thinking it was for a break away type battery. Is a regular car battery meant to go there instead?

Lights work in the camper. I bought a 15amp to 30amp adapter plug and ran an extention cord to the house. All the inside lights work, a/c works real good :freezing

Wasn't able to take any pics of the drain outlet or anything else today, maybe tomorrow.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not only for the break-away, it's for your 12V lights and water pump inside the trailer, it should have a charger-converter built in, to keep the battery charged up.
Your tow truck should also charge the battery when you are going down the road.
I wouldn't run the AC on a 15amp extention cord from the house, low voltage can burn up the AC in a short time. Just keep asking away Stephen, Big Joe and I will do our best to make the first camping trip a good one. My wife and I have been doing this for almost40 years now. We have had good trips and bad trips, but they have always been fun trips.
Doug

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The Expedition is wired to keep it charged. I only had it plugged up to the house long enough to see what was working and what wasn't.

Is that a battery that I can get at any place that sales batteries or is a special kind that only an RV store would have?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not only for the break-away, it's for your 12V lights and water pump inside the trailer, it should have a charger-converter built in, to keep the battery charged up.
Your tow truck should also charge the battery when you are going down the road.
I wouldn't run the AC on a 15amp extention cord from the house, low voltage can burn up the AC in a short time. Just keep asking away Stephen, Big Joe and I will do our best to make the first camping trip a good one. My wife and I have been doing this for almost40 years now. We have had good trips and bad trips, but they have always been fun trips.
Doug

X2 Bama ;tu

You got 80+ years, combined, experience here.. as well as anyone else's that chimes in. I (we) Love this stuff.

An RV electrical power, Rule of Thumb is: Never use any extension cords.. with less than 10 gauge wire, to power up you Rig.. on a less than 30 amp circuit.. if you are going to use anything other than.. the interior lights, or charge a battery.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Expedition is wired to keep it charged. I only had it plugged up to the house long enough to see what was working and what wasn't.

Is that a battery that I can get at any place that sales batteries or is a special kind that only an RV store would have?

Nothing special, any good 12v Deep Cycle/Marine battery is best.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've seen them both ways. some FEMA trailers have 12V lighting that runs off a battery that is charged by the inverter others use that battery only for breakaway purposes and use a constant duty to serve the 12V lighting. And of course there are those that are 100% 110V including lighting.

If memory serves me right he's likely not to have a waterpump, he'll rely on the domestic pressure from his water source.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 type 27 batt. on my 5ther and I can go 3 days dry camping before needing charge. I would sagest getting a gen. I got one from tractor supply it a 3500watt RV gen. and it's almost as quit as a honda gen. but cheeper and it powers the A/C no problem. It's a champion 3500watt with the 30amp RV plug about 400 bucks.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58