Glow plug life expectancy??

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
So I just hit 86,000 miles and I have noticed that when it gets really cold here in Nebraska (20 degrees and colder) the old girl doesn't want to start as easy. When it is warmer, she starts right up and runs like a top.

Is it about time for a glow plug replacement?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'll be interested in seeing the comments on this thread. I know my 06 (65k miles) doesnt like cold starts anywhere near like my 95 would.

I know one thing you can do..... take an Ohm meter and ohm out your plugs, I think any much more than 1 ohm and you are on thin ice.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Well the glow plug relay could be at fault. Its possible. Ford is also offering the inductive heat flash that has apparently helped with this problem. I found going to 5-40 syn. oil and plugging in when below 25 has been a big help. My brothers rig [05 6.0] had the latest flash done and he claims its made a big difference. I haven't heard it run yet.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heating the injectors isn't going to warm the cylinders... just like the glow plugs aren't going to heat the injectors. Heating the injectors will help them perform better, but that won't make the fuel ignite any easier.

You're best bet is to look at each one with an ohm meter and see if it's open or has some resistance. I'm thinking it was like 1-2 ohms if I remember right... they suck down some current! If any of them are reading open or one is greatly different than the rest change it out. You'll have to disconnect it from the rest of the plugs because otherwise, you'll be looking at the parallel connection to ground and it will be a very low, and your meter might not be able to accurately display it.

But to answer your question, I'd hope they last more than 86k... Depends on how often you start it, and at what temperature. There is a finite amount of burn time on them before they nuke themselves.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Well.....I start the truck every day. :confused:

Right now, temps anywhere from -6 to 25 is where I am having problems. When it is warmer than that, it just starts like a regular deisel in winter.

Anyway......I will have to test them.

Thanks everyone!!!

Steelhead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same - similar question about the glow plugs. My 04 6.0 has almost 60 K on her and starts hard when it is below 35. She starts, but bucks like a bronc until the EGT's get up to about 300. After that she runs like a top. When I'm able to plug her in, she starts fine and runs great out of the gate. Plugs or ? :dunno

powerstroker24

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Heating the injectors isn't going to warm the cylinders... just like the glow plugs aren't going to heat the injectors. Heating the injectors will help them perform better, but that won't make the fuel ignite any easier.

You're best bet is to look at each one with an ohm meter and see if it's open or has some resistance. I'm thinking it was like 1-2 ohms if I remember right... they suck down some current! If any of them are reading open or one is greatly different than the rest change it out. You'll have to disconnect it from the rest of the plugs because otherwise, you'll be looking at the parallel connection to ground and it will be a very low, and your meter might not be able to accurately display it.

But to answer your question, I'd hope they last more than 86k... Depends on how often you start it, and at what temperature. There is a finite amount of burn time on them before they nuke themselves.

Well to help with this thread-its not the glow plugs that are the issue,in fact it is the injectors and the spool valves in the injectors sticking. The inductive heat strategy WILL definately improve your concern. Typical glowplug life is over 100k and we recommend changing them at this interval. IF your concern is hard start/runs rough/white smoke cold-go get it reflashed at the dealer,you'd be suprised.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to help with this thread-its not the glow plugs that are the issue,in fact it is the injectors and the spool valves in the injectors sticking. The inductive heat strategy WILL definately improve your concern. Typical glowplug life is over 100k and we recommend changing them at this interval. IF your concern is hard start/runs rough/white smoke cold-go get it reflashed at the dealer,you'd be suprised.

Good information, but how are you certain that the problem isn't the glow plugs? You say typical life is over 100k, well, what's atypical life? 86k? Personally, I'd probably do both.

BTW, burning used ATF? I hope to God it's filtered to sub micron levels...

05oneton

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What does it cost to get a truck reflashed at the dealership?

When starting mine at cold temperatures the only real problem is if it has been sitting for more than a day...sometimes she starts pretty rough, almost thought the last time it had been sitting it was gonna backfire. but otherwise, even when the temp is below freezing, it just makes a couple small noises when it starts and then it runs fine.

Another question though about starting....do any of you guys ever hear a grinding sort of noise when you start your rigs? Every once in a while, I start it up (when its been cold and sitting for a while) and then it makes this grinding noise or maybe kind of like something is closing up.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Well I went through the same problem in December, It was 2 New Batteries that were holding 70% Charge. New Replacement Batteries working much better now. It took me a long time before I realized it was the Batteries that failled. The Engine has a minimum RPM for Starting due to the fuel being presurized by the oil Pump. I am in Florida now so I cannot test it anymore. Just love it here, 65F in the morning sure helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58