Glow Plug recommendations and issues...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Also go check out Guzzles page. Lots of good info there as well. I've dove in there a bunch of times for info. Do a google search, find him you will haha

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

I am doing my plugs now. I checked continuity on all driver side plugs and got 2.7 - 2.9 on all of them. Then I pulled the most forward one and tested it off the battery. It worked fine. Just to check one of the new ones to see if one was brighter than another and they both looked the same. Glowed the same at least. So I am stumped at this point. I checked power off my GPCM and wasn't getting anything with a test light. Turned the key on and stuck my test light into the plug end that goes into the valve cover and the light didn't come on. Any ideas? It's still a rough start when its cold out. And doesnt even want to start when it's cold out and not plugged in.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After putting all the new plugs in I actually hooked the harness back up, even the huge box harness that goes over the valve cover, and turned the key one. Used the test light on the end of the glow plug cap, on every plug and I didn't get one blink of the test light.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing some research, could it be the FICM (Fuel Injector Control Module) or IDM (Injector Drive Module)?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
2000 trucks or Excursions don't have the FICM. They have something else, the IDM as you stated. If it isn't the Glow Plugs you have to look at the injector drivers. Good luck toobsluver!

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, you stated that you were NOT getting voltage at the glow plugs when you turned the key on. Have you checked to Glow Plug Module? I don't remember the term for it.

Dave :dunno

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Dave, it's the Glow Plug Control Module. I don't have a relay. From what I am reading, my truck has a "California" glow plug system. The GPCM is my relay if you will.

Here's a link with a good diagram:
https://sites.google.com/site/woodn...perduty/maintenance-articles/glow-plug-system

Here's the actual diagram:
ok the image link isn't working. It's the 4 image down and it shows the schematic I have at the top of that image.

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also tried replacing the glow plug control module. It's an expensive part. Well over $100, so I bought one from rockauto.com, installed it, cleared the codes, and tried starting my truck a few times, just for the codes to reappear. So I swore it was my glow plugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg