Gooseneck Ball Spanner Wrench???

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Well, when I bought my truck used, one of the draws that it had was that it had a complete gooseneck setup already installed and ready to rock and roll. :sweet

It also had a cheap, plastic bed liner in it, which I've been meaning for two years to get rid of.... :( Hate those things. Needs a spray-in something BAD.

Anyway, had my first call to use the goose today, so i lifted the bedliner out, new, shiny ball in hand, ready to screw her in and go, and lo and behold, some friggin meatball had CUT THE OLD GOOSENECK BALL OFF with a cutting torch instead of just taking it out to put in the bedliner. I am speechless and flabbergasted and terrified that i will never be able to get it out and my gooseneck setup is RUINED. I had a monkey wrench to install the new one, but there is nothing to get ahold of with the monkey wrnech on the one that had it's BALL cut off....

So, I noticed around the perimeter of it's flange, that it has a couple notches that look like they are designed to take a spanner-type wrench, similar (to those familiar) to the one you use to take the front wheel bearing nuts off on an old 73-87 chevy 4x4, only a LOT bigger.

Am i on crack, or is that really what I'm seeing? If so, where can one be purchased so that i can get the old, cut-off BALL out of the hitch and get eh new one in before 4:00 this afternoon???

I truly have come to agree with Ron WHite. It is amazing all of the things they can do in themedical field these days. Fixing blindness, brain surgeries, microsurgeries, etc. But with all of those advances, they have STILL failed to find a way to FIX STUPID. Face it, you just can't fix stupid....

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hoss
got a torch and weld a big NUT on the stump.
what a JA cut off the ball ?
it must have been stuck pretty good for em to just torch it off.
what access do you have from underneath??? just how old is that thing anyways
a picture here would be worth............. well you know ;)

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18" pipe wrench would grab the base. I've had success in a similar situation in the past.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
hoss
got a torch and weld a big NUT on the stump.
what a JA cut off the ball ?
it must have been stuck pretty good for em to just torch it off.
what access do you have from underneath??? just how old is that thing anyways
a picture here would be worth............. well you know ;)
Pics.... Ahh, yes, I will work to that end quite shortly, my good chap. Stay tuned....

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Picture from ABOVE

The white arrow shows the area I'm very concerned about. it appears that the torch slag has in effect "welded" the base of the ball to the reciever.

The red arrow shows the "spanner wrench" slots, or what I'm assuming are...

The next post will have a pic rom UNDER, which has me a little confused...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
This is the cross frame that goes UNDER the bed. Can the ball be turned out from under here???

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
bartman said:
18" pipe wrench would grab the base. I've had success in a similar situation in the past.
You can see in the pics why a pipe wrench won't do the job anymore.

Thanks for the idea, though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58