Gooseneck Ball Spanner Wrench???

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
And with that, I think someone needs an ***** whoopin'.

SERIOUSLY......
geeze thats messed up
iffin it was me i would remove the entire thing, looks like the time and effort to get the slag ground off, chisel or die grinder, weld a thing to it to help it unscrew, soak it with pb blaster, would far outweigh the time it takes to remove the entire brace assembly provided its bolted to the truck frame and not welded, this would also give you some time to clean up all that rust on the bed...:D
you sir have a job ahead of you -popcorn :(

Last edited:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
remove the entire brace assembly provided its bolted to the truck frame and not welded,
I'm not sure how taking it off the truck will solve the problem? I need the gooseneck setup. Are you saying i should just go buy another one? It is late on a friday, Robert, help me out here... :D

this would also give you some time to clean up all that rust on the bed...:D
Which is only there because they BURNED THE FRIGGING PAINT OFF with the cutting torch and slag pile. I did notice some surface rust on the crossmember, though, so I'm a-thinking maybe some bead blasting and painting wouldn't hurt it none... Which would be easier if it was removed. It did look like it was bolted on, not welded. If I could just figure out how removing it would help me get the old ball out.......

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
WOW :eek: that looks like somethin a backwoods, inbread, no teeth, ain't had a bath in month, goes to family reunions to meet girls, landscapes using old tires, redneck would do :eek:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
bama-six-gun said:
WOW :eek: that looks like somethin a backwoods, inbread, no teeth, ain't had a bath in month, goes to family reunions to meet girls, landscapes using old tires, redneck would do :eek:
I disagree. Budro would never do something this stupid.... :roflmao

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
You can see in the pics why a pipe wrench won't do the job anymore.

Thanks for the idea, though!

You are correct. That is far worse than I pictured it to be, and I whoopin' is definitely in order for the culprit. I will now meekly go back to my perfect world where an 18" pipe wrench solves most problems.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
here's my suggestion... drill through it with about a 3/16" bit, then fire up yer own damn torch and burn it outta there... I had to do that with a receiver head once..

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
I'm not sure how taking it off the truck will solve the problem? I need the gooseneck setup. Are you saying i should just go buy another one? It is late on a friday, Robert, help me out here... :D

YES,most rv places are open on saturday:D
Which is only there because they BURNED THE FRIGGING PAINT OFF with the cutting torch and slag pile. I did notice some surface rust on the crossmember, though, so I'm a-thinking maybe some bead blasting and painting wouldn't hurt it none... Which would be easier if it was removed. It did look like it was bolted on, not welded. If I could just figure out how removing it would help me get the old ball out.......

you got a bit of work ahead of you, better get some tires for landscaping:roflmao :roflmao

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hoss 350 said:
Face it, you just can't fix stupid....
Wouldn't it be nice if you could locate the person who did this so you could pull out a couple of cans of whoopass and give it to them. Then say "HEEERE"S YOUR SIGN!!!!" Can't you imagine the mentality of the guy who did this? "Hey Vern, I cain't git this thang off! You gotta cuttin' torch? YaknowwhatImean?" Or maybe you could get Roy D Mercer to threaten them with an ass whuppin!

Seriously, I feel for you. I'm glad I don't have that problem. My biggest problem is trying to get my hitch assembly to slide into the "brackets" easier. Right now there's a bunch of dirt and other junk that I have to put the hitch inside the brackets and kick it along each side until it slips into place. That'll be a major job for me to fix next week on vacation.

dpantazis

Reaction score
hoss- where are you at with it now?

the slag is molten metal, but the stuff it touched was pretty cold comparitivly. it wouldn't have mixed with the base metal. it should knock off easy.

it almost looks like the bottom is a nut too.

if you can not find a spanner, try using a punch and hammer to turn the nut. use a pin type punch, not a center punch. hit it on the flat of the slot in the direction to turn. kinda like whacking a bug nut off with a chisel.

dp

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Either do what dennis said with the punch and hammer, it is amazing what a little hammer power can do, often more than an impact wrench.
The torch might not be a bad idea, except you have to worry about where all that molten metal is going.
Welding a big nut on the top, (3/4-1"+) REALLY welded good(inside and out), prolly is the best bet, you get a good way to get a hold of it, and lots of quick heat. As soon as you are done welding, quench the whole thing with a bucket of water, then zap it with a big impact *and* have a helper with a punch go at it the same time.

The worst thing you could do is twist the gooseneck frame :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58