Got alot of Steering slop!

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but it looks like I've replaced everything on the frontend of the truck within the last 6mos. had 4 alignments and just got a set of new tires. Now my steering has alot of slop having to fight to keep it strait in one lane. Everything is all out of wack .... I'm thinking steering box? What do you all think Im getting to my wits end:rant

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but it looks like I've replaced everything on the frontend of the truck within the last 6mos. had 4 alignments and just got a set of new tires. Now my steering has alot of slop having to fight to keep it strait in one lane. Everything is all out of wack .... I'm thinking steering box? What do you all think Im getting to my wits end:rant

Right there with ya. I've had to really concentrate on what way my steering wheel is pulling because of all the slop. And it feels like crap when driving down the road. Took it to the shop the other day to have the steering box tightened up and balance all the tires. Fells better now....not all over the road. But still feel some vibrations while going down the road. I figure its either the ball joints or the shocks.

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on the top of the box & you will see a allen set screw with a jam nut . Loosen the jam nut & tighten the allen screw, about a 1/4 turn at a time , tighten the jam nut & drive. If you get it too tight the steering wheel will start staying where you put it in a curve.;tu

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it quickly got very very loose the sector shaft in the steering box may be sheered off :(

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
6261d1280321970-1976-gmc-1500-steering-box-leak-steering-gear-box.jpg

and for the Adjustment, tho these are not our trucks they are close enough to get an idea as to how and what...

Google Image Result for http://image.rodandcustommagazine.com/f/techarticles/9202902+w200/0607rc_09_z+steering_box+opening_steering_box.jpg

Last edited:

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys I will get it done this weekend. I appreciate the diagram hopefully I can just adjust it. The truck has a totally new front end minus this maybe it's just time it does have 166k on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58