got my gauges

errol

Reaction score
k my auto meter gauges and pillar pod arrived, looking at everything and all seems to be here. now my question...where would be the best place to place the sending unit for the auto transmission ? and 2nd question, how long will it take to install the pryo, boost, and tranny guage ? using a pillar pod mount. thanks :thumbs

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
Look here 3-Gauge Install Pictures

this is a very good walk through of the install process. pictures included. For the first timer, Figure on 3-4 hrs, not including painting, Its not hard just time consuming. you will need some RTV, Anti-Sieze, and some thread loc. Instead of drilling the manifold for the pyro, drill and tap the up-pipe(much less chance of cracking that) good luck BD

errol

Reaction score
thanks a bunch for the instruction walk thru bdrummonds, this gonna be a great help, and thanks for the tip on tapping into the up-pipe !

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am going to disagree with bdrummonds on the drilling of the exhaust manifold. It is EASY if you take it slow. You will get a more accurate reading of your EGT's. No need to remove the manifold, you can drill up from under the truck.

Dave :)

Reaction score
I have to type k probes on the driver side manifold drilled and tapped both of them from underneath. Never had a problem other than hot metal on yer face.

Truckblog - How-To Install Auto Meter Gauges In Project JAKD

This is the webpage i used it offered a great tip for the tap. You use a 3/8's extension at least 18 inches long and you get far enough away with a t handle. However i'm not much of a t handle guy so i've always used a speed wrench aka crescent wrench.

bdrummonds

Maximum Overdrive
Reaction score
I am going to disagree with bdrummonds on the drilling of the exhaust manifold. It is EASY if you take it slow. You will get a more accurate reading of your EGT's. No need to remove the manifold, you can drill up from under the truck.

Dave :)
Dave, I never said it wasn't easy, just more of a chance of cracking, since the manifold is more brittle, as far as the accuracy, I am not talking about placing the thermocouple up near the turbo, just about an inch away from the manifold. being that close to the # 8 exhaust port you will not loose any accuracy.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
OK, I found the exhaust manifold very easy to drill. Thought I would pass it along. It is YOUR truck.

Dave

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill and tap the manifold... Easy cheesey... I have a right and left pyro...

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you start with a small bit and get progressively larger, I think you'd decrease the chance of cracking. I have my pyro in the manifold for accuracy.

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
They say that you can drill the Manifold with the truck not running. Is this true??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58