Got my MRI Results Back...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
And it was not good news. Two ruptured disks in my back, L4 and L5. I go in to the neurosurgeon today at 10:45 PT and find out when the surgery will be, and what my options are.

I'm scared witless. I am too active to give up at 27, I am not ready to be a cripple.

I don't even know much about this sort of thing, I haven't been sick since I was a kid. Any of you have something similar happen? It would help me to know what your experiences were, what you'd do again, what you would have done differently. What the outcomes were.... (gulp...)

I plan on getting at least a second opinion before I do anything. Looks like my summer is going to be all shot to hell, though... :(

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
The local hospital has been doing a procedure were they inject a bondo or filler type stuff that basically fuses the discs and immobilizes those vertabray.

I don't know a lot about it, but I know that folks that come in a wheel chair in the morning, in the afternoon are walking out on their own 2 feet.

Good luck dude!!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I had dual level cervical discectomy in May '05 and can definitely relate to what you're going thru brother.I too was concerned but I knew it was the only logical choice as I did not want to be dependent on pain meds for the rest of my life especially with 2 young sons then 1 & 3 years.
Glad I had the procedure done:sweet
9601W.jpg

Your spine surgeon will probably recommend artificial disc replacement,you'll be restricted for a month or two then roll into physical therapy from anywhere 6-12 months on the larger scope but everyone is different depending on their physical activity post procedure.

Check out Texas Back Institute as there's a ton of information regarding spine and cervical procedures.There's a video at the top of their main page that is worth watching.
My quarterback surgeon at TBI is Dr.Zigler and knows everything about the spine:tu: if you need a professional second opinion.
People fly in from around the world to get their spine procedures done at TBI.

Ask away with questions:sweet

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i would do the second opinion thing before you go under the knife i guess.

there maybe some non-innvasive treatments (i.e. physical therapy, strength & conditioning)

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in a car accident in 90 and had 2 herniated discs and 2 bulged discs. I went to physical therapy 3 times a week for 4 months. Do I still get pain, yea once in a while. I'm just a little more carefull about what I'm doing and how I lift things. Find a good phsical therapy/sprots medicine place before going throught he surgery. Keith

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
OUCH
I keep getting shots, to scared to let em cut me near a major nerve bundle :eek:

last one NUMBED it for about 4 weeks, going in soon to get another.

sorry to hear your laid up at such a young age :(

get many opinons and read all about every option, i know folks who got fused that still are in bad shape and otheres that got refused 10 or so years later

spine medicine is changing fast lots of smart stuff being developed as we speak

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with trying physical therapy first. I was about at the point where I couldn't move about half the time. I found a very good therapist and am now mostly OK. The biggest problems I have are when I skip the excersizes for a week or so...

Best of luck!

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Sounds like you may be ready for a fall bird hunt tho.... I'll take ya Bubba huntin, when we head out that way later this year....

bubba huntin = ya get up when ya wake up... and not a minute earlier... after a good breakfast and coffee..... you get your gear together... then you get out on the boat.... head down the river.... nice and mellow.... you want the bird to have plenty of chance to get away before you get there. you get off the boat.... look up at the hill..... then decide if a nap is more important than some smelly bird that is almost tooo small to eat. this is how I hunt every year..... sometimes I accidentally get one... try not to let that happen too often. then by 1:pm we head back to the boat... have a brew, and sandwich.... and go back to the 5er for the 2nd nap...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Have you had a Discogram conducted yet as MRI's and Xrays won't reveal 100% of the damage.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you finally decide to have surgery, make sure that you go to a surgeon that has had many patients that have come out of the surgery with good results. This is a life long decision. Go where the best surgeon is. I have seen to many cases of local people going to the local surgeon, and having lifetime damaging operations. Take your time and find the best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14