Got tires force balanced

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how many bb's do you put in? how do you put them in? I've never tried this bb's idea. Any bb's will work? or do they have to be special bb's? Let's face it, bb's are cheaper than centramatics. but how do you get them out if you ever want to? vacuum cleaner on the valve stem?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have used the stuff that goes inside the tire on truck tires and I can tell you that there is zero wear on the inside when the tires are dismounted due to the outside being totally wore out. I have then had the casings re-capped and ran them again until the tread was wore out once again with NO internal wear from the balancing material. I have never tried it in automotive tires but it does work in truck tires.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how many bb's do you put in? how do you put them in? I've never tried this bb's idea. Any bb's will work? or do they have to be special bb's? Let's face it, bb's are cheaper than centramatics. but how do you get them out if you ever want to? vacuum cleaner on the valve stem?

I don't recommend BB's due to A) they are made of coated lead shot; lead dust is bad stuff for tire installers (people who may work on your tires years from now) and B) it requires you to disbead the tire, big PIA; same with removing them.

I use antifreeze, far easier to install, no environmental mess (4-6 oz max) and won't hurt anyone if disposed of properly and won't freeze. To install, deflate the tire by taking out the stem valve (Schrader valve), attaching a 1/4" hose to it, put the other end into a container with your proper amount of antifreeze, then lift the vehicle, causing the tire to suck in the antifreeze. Put the stem valve back in and reinflate the tires. Done.

To remove the antirfreeze without dismounting the tire would require a tube smaller than the tire stem ID plus a vacuum - not impossible and easier than having to dismount the tire.

An alternative to antifreeze is small steel or stainless steel ball bearings. These are available from McMaster for about 400 for $10 or 50 SS for $8 or so (see page 1124 at mcmaster.com). The 1/16" or 1/8" size should fit inside the stem ID, but you would have to dismount the tire to remove them.

For the correct amount of dynamic balancer, see my or Bushpilot's post with the Counteract site listed above, click on the "tire size" link above left and you'll see it. Pick your size tire and go to town. Make sure to report here your results.

Keep in mind that it's easier to add more than to take away if you add too much - a little goes a long way due to the leverage - so don't add more than necessary

As far as wearing out the inside of the tire with these things, Google "rock tumbler". These things are designed to have an abrasive substance polishing or abrading hard objects like rocks, operating for days on end, rotating at a speed certain to not cause centrifugal force to hold it against the side (hence causing the media and targets to "tumble"), the inside liner is made of rubber and, usually, has a 5 year warranty (does anyone have tires that last 5 years anymore?). I have a pair of rock tumblers that I've had for +20 years and they were at least 10 years old when I got them - the rubber liners are perfect. The rubber certainly isn't rated or certified by the DOT in case of blowout at +70 mph. Just sayin'.

Good luck.

Al

Last edited:

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the antifreeze trick. I've heard of it, but never tried it. So about 4oz of antifreeze? how well does the antifreeze work!?? I'm real interested in it.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the antifreeze trick. I've heard of it, but never tried it. So about 4oz of antifreeze? how well does the antifreeze work!?? I'm real interested in it.

It depends on your tire size, see the chart here: Application2

I used 4-6 oz. in 35x12.50 BFG AT on my '98 Dodge Ram and in my 35x12.50 BFG Mud Terrains on my '85 Toy 4runner. BB's for the Dodge, antifreeze for the Toy.

Antifreeze works great on my Toy, even after a local 4x4 ride with mud on the tires etc. smooth as silk on I-565 coming west towards home.

Good luck.

Al

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... about 4-6oz seems to be the ball park. I'll just do 5oz. right in the middle. I'm going to do it tomorrow after work.!! I'll be using the green antifreeze. do you use it straight or water it down? Or buy the 50/50 premixed stuff? I'm guessing use 4-6oz of full strength.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about taking a syringe with or without needle to squirt it in your valve stem? No mess, no fuss.

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about taking a syringe with or without needle to squirt it in your valve stem? No mess, no fuss.

That'll work too.

Keep in mind guys, that there are valid disadvantages to using these dynamic balancers:

- You won't be able to have the tires/wheels balanced at a shop without them dismounting and removing whatever you put in there. Not a biggie since whatever you put in there should work, unless you put too much or not enough.

- If you have to go to the tire place for some other reason (flat etc.), the tire guys aren't going to like you very much, not for having to remove the materials per se, but because they know these things are costing them $$$. $ for not having to balance your tires as much, $ because your tires will last longer and they won't have to sell you new ones as soon and $ for periphial (sp) stuff that will last longer like shocks, ball joints etc.

I deal with this by giving them a heads up that the stuff is in there and by treating them extra special nice. Only a fool needlessly pisses off people that literally have your life in their hands.

Good luck.

Al

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the antifreeze might be able to be sucked out with a shop vac. You'd create a venturi affect by placing a larger (vacuum hose) over the shraider valve. so that might work... not sure until I try it. best thing is probly have them balanced by a force machine and THEN put the stuff in the tire. :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
before you do that, consult your tire warranty...

there's a guy that comes in once a year, has a Dodge with 325's on it... he's got these viscous rings that mount on the lug studs (like the old dust shields on the Lincolns) & swears by them...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14