Question Harpoon the Fuel Tank?

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a fuel pressure gauge and when I install it I was also considering doing the BB mod. I have been reading about "harpooning" the fuel tank and was wanting input from you guys about the benefit of doing this. Does it provide any benefit other than a faster and less troublesome fill up at the pump?

I fit is worth doing I was considering doing this all in one weekend...probably wishful thinking, but I like to dream.;)

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure that harpooning is necessary on the newer trucks. I know on the OBS, Bricknose and Slantnose trucks, this was a way to be able to get them to fill faster, and with less mess.

On my truck, an 03 Excursion, I have never had an issue in filling or it "burping back" on me. This is with both the smaller "gasoline" sized nozzle, and a larger nozzle. I have not tried a "Big Truck" pump........

However, on thing that may be different is the tank and placement. I ahve a single 44 gallon tank in the very rear of the truck, between the rear axle and the rear bumper. My fuel fill is behind the wheel on the drivers side just in front of the tail light, and is pretty much a straight shot to the tank. The trucks have a mid-ship tank, maybe this is the difference and it may help on the trucks......

Last edited:

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only had the "burping" issue a couple of times. If relieving the burp is the only improvement that I will get I will not bother since it has never been bad enough cause problems.

Thanks for the insight.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's so you can get more fuel into the tank

Yep.. You can get about 5 more gallons in, at a fill up. Nice feature, for me anywayz.

The Burping Back ? Murphy's Law WILL eventually apply here.

When yer dressed to the 9's.. on yer way to a family wedding.. It WILL burp.. hit right 'bout yer crotch.. run down both legs.. and in to yer boots.

Don't ask me how I know that :innocent

I did the "Harpoon" mod... never looked back. The "Hutch Mod" too.

Joe

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must be the different placement of the tank. I have a 44 gallon tank and have been able to get the full advertised 44 gallons in it. But like I said, it is a straight shot down to the tank.... if the filler were 18" long I would be surprised......

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has to do with the protrusion into the tank that limits the amount that can go in (leaving room for expansion) however diesel seems to have less of an issue than reg gas so this air trap isn't needed

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harpoon Mod, explained a bit ?

Might be redundant info but...FWIW ?

On the Mid-ship, side fill, 36 gallon tanks, the vent tube sticks down, inside, the tank about 6". When the fuel level gets up to the bottom of the tube.. the tank can no longer vent any air.. pressure builds up... fuel/foam Belches back.. up thru the fill pipe. Plus.. yul need to either stop fueling.. 5 gallons short of a Full tank Or... Trickle~Dribble in.. the remaining 5 gallons in.

Cutting that tube off, inside the tank.. fixes that. PVC cutters work well at doing the deed.

Cutting the small nozzle restrictor thing out of the fill pipe also makes Fueling Up a quicker/cleaner task too ? A 1 5/8" hole saw will do that deed.

(Might be a No Issue on newer trucks ?)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58