Head Gasket?

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stock boost is supposed to be 22-25 psi WOT 3rd gear. 28 for stock is on the high side but they are all a little different. Puking coolant could be from the degas bottle to full ,or your head gaskets are lifting under the pressure.

Invader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what happens on some are the head bolts stretch slightly allowing a minute gap. Maybe they weren't torqued properly. Another thing to ponder is that at 25 psi is almost 2 atmospheres of pressure. Try to hold your thumb over an air hose with 3 psi in it and you won't be able to hold it back. I'm not sure what they do to fix the problem.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A thicker gasket might help if it is a gasket problem, but I read it as a head clamping problem. The only fix it to re-engineer the head bolts (add more) on the 6.0.

Dave :)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is about a $700 solution that we should not need to do. That is why I don't ever run "power enhassment products" or chips. They increase the power and the resulting increases in cylinder pressure causes the head to lift and leak.

Dave

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other option is a lock ring headgasket or an O-ringed gasket...

You realise that 28 PSI on a 25 PSI system is only 12% over. That's not much. I would wonder about the bolt torque, and or manufacturing tolerance, and how carefully it was installed.

Have they checked the coolant for exhaust byproducts? Soot, acid, or fuel/oil contamination? That would really say whether or not it's a gasket or head bolt leak. You read about other guys running 40 PSI of boost and they haven't gone BOOM yet. Something just doesn't gel.

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coolant is clean, i have always been running it on the safe side. I have had the EGT's up to 1200 so i wonder if its the EGR cooler and its boiling it and pressurizing it and blowing it out that way?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58