Heated seats

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350R said:
My better half was always leaving the passenger side on so I went to Radio Shack and picked up a couple of 12V LED's. I paralled a small wire on the LED in the switch and ran it under the carpet, up the pillar and placed the LED's in the over head console. The LEd's could be placed anywhere that's just where I thought they would look nice. At least now I know when the heat has been left on and also know when I have bumped the drivers side as well.

Right there is the easiest way to do it! No fuss, no muss. Unless you wanted to go with some trick LED color that radio shack doesnt sell pre-wired for 12v's.

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
HCAbowman said:
Not to change gears on the thread..but it is seat realated....how hard is it to change the elements on them, or better yet, can you move them, Ive got a spot on my seat(drivers side) that gets hotter than any other spot on the seat, Im assuming that the element is just closer to the top, can you move them deeper in the seat?

My heat went out completely when I bought mine (2000 psd) The seats in the 2000 have the element glued right to the foam cushion. You have to change the whole cushion which was about $150. There is a section in the seat the dips down so the support bar going through it holds the leather covers on. Then by getting in and out of the truck you put more weight on the front corner of the seat and eventually the wires burn through. That is what happened to mine. I bought the cushon and installed it myself. Was pretty easy. The only hard part were putting the little clips back in the hold the leather cover down into the cushion. Hope that helps.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad your heaters seem to work. Mine just warm the seat slightly. I want them to do some back therapy like my Chevy used to.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kelly Han**** said:
My heat went out completely when I bought mine (2000 psd) The seats in the 2000 have the element glued right to the foam cushion. You have to change the whole cushion which was about $150. There is a section in the seat the dips down so the support bar going through it holds the leather covers on. Then by getting in and out of the truck you put more weight on the front corner of the seat and eventually the wires burn through. That is what happened to mine. I bought the cushon and installed it myself. Was pretty easy. The only hard part were putting the little clips back in the hold the leather cover down into the cushion. Hope that helps.

Thanks Kelly!!

I appriciate it!! Thats exactly where its getting the hot spot...I will have to look into that!!

cturrisi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about installing a timed relay, so that if the seat is turned on, it shuts off after a pre-determined time (10 minutes). My wife uses her seat heater on a regular basis, but only rides in the X on weekends and therefore the seat heater use-to stay on for days without me knowing it (now I check every monday morning).

Anyone know where to get some timed relays?

Thanks,
Chris
'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I thought they had a built in timer? but no the book says they will stay on until you switch it off. even if you kill the ignition, they will still be on at next key cycle

Last edited:

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, they sure dont....unfortunately I found that out when I first bought it!! I did the same thing....

cturrisi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it more and not having much luck finding a timed relay, I may just install a "normal" relay in the power feed that is switched on by the seat heater switch. This way when the X is turned off, the power is killed to the relay and it won't turn on again, until the seat heater switch is pushed again. Does this sound like it would work? Need to get out my wiring diagrams and investigate a little more.

Chris
'05 Excursion Limited 4x4 PSD

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I KNOW my 02 and 03 Limited Ex's shut off after about 10 minutes... (cuz the wife unit used to whine about having to turn it on over and over :)) and they BOTH would roast your buns !!!

now on the 05 Eddie Bauer the INDICATOR ite stays on until you turn it off manually even across start cycles...
but it it barely warm - even to someone as heat allergic as I am :) - the wife unit now whines that it doesn't get hot enough !!!

go figer !!!!!!1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14