Help! Belching White Smoke

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi- I started asking about this in a 911 thread about a guy with a 6.0L with the same problem, and I'm moving it to the 6.4 only forum.

08 6.4L 4x4 CC 5200miles, 6" PC lift, 35's, etc. Just got it in June

Turning out of the neighborhood, don't hammer on it as it early, engine isnt fully warmed up, I gradually accelerate keeping rpms under 2k, turbo under 1k, etc. As I am coming up to speed, my truck starts belching white smoke, I mean just POURING smoke out of the pipe! So much that the cars behind me slowed down to let me get the heck outta the way. I let off the gas as I am crapping myself and the problem solves itself.

Is this coolant coming burning up on me? I had the degas hose recall completed about 3 weeks ago. A few had similar problems with their 6.0's. I have recognized every now and then that when I shut the truck off I hear a sound similar to a water cooler bubbling when you fill up a water bottle.

Any ideas? I'm about to leave work. I'm gonna check my coolant level and head back, hoping that there are no problems. Thanks for your help.

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ummkk
Coolant looked a little low. topped it off. problem is gone. Anybody have any idea what the real problem could be?

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh white smoke is not really an issue. pretty well every diesel i have had will do this when its cold out. It quits when its warmed up. Its when its blue is when you need to be concerned. Kinda like my stupid piece of crap dmax is doing!!

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's relieving. Thanks for letting me know. Blue smoke is oil, correct? At least you are probably getting better fuel mileaage than me!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
if its coolant it will smell like maple syrup. it very well could be an egr cooler leaking coolant into the exhaust (i assume the 6.4 has one) and those are very common failures on a lot of the different engines i work on. it would be covered under your warranty assuming you have relatively low mileage...?

tnsilverfx4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah regen sucks. The one thing I hate about this truck. Yes it only has 5,000 miles on it. I will have the look at the egr cooler. my coolant level was lower than it should have been. i topped it off and havent had the problem since last week.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Yeah regen sucks. The one thing I hate about this truck. Yes it only has 5,000 miles on it. I will have the look at the egr cooler. my coolant level was lower than it should have been. i topped it off and havent had the problem since last week.

My truck has started bellowing out the white smoke this past week. It is extremely bad when driving up a steep hill from work to home. I've owned diesels for only 5 years, but they've NEVER done this before. My coolant level looks fine. I'm taking it in for the coolant system recall, but should I be looking for anything else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58