help weird sound and stumble

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in a Diablo chip that I got from a friend that has the same set up I have , open element air filter,4in exhaust. I wouldnt put it in untill i got all of my gauges hooked up and today was that day. The chip has 3 settings , stock,40hp and 80hp . I have onley ran the 40 hp setting and this is the problem im encountering, If I step on hard from a stop it launches hard and then at about 18psi boost it acts like a gas burner thats missing, stumble stumble GOOOO and there is a weird sound comeing from the engine bay almost like a high pitch valve clatter that seems to be in time with the turbo, I let out and it stops ! If I ease into it from 40mph or so its not as bad and will continue building boost till it starts defueling. None of this happens in stock mode but I like the power and the smoke!! Im new to the diesel world and I would appreciate some help , Ideas, anything?:(:dunno

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Watch your exhaust when this happens. If you get exsesive white you may be about to lose a head gasket, Only know this as "Been there done that"...

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just hook up a fuel pressure gauge, I tested my pump with a gauge hooked to me drain valve. I used long rubber hose hooked to a 100 psi fuel gauge, open valve and start truck check for leaks. You should probably be about 55 to 65 at idle.(read up on fpr mod)
If the hose is long enough you can stick it in the wondow of the truck and see what it drops to when accelerating and at wide open throttle.
Or you can get and mount a gauge permanently in the truck. A nice electric one. Or mechanical with isolator.

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
Check the inlet side of your turbo.. aka the wheel, look for Rub and wear. The added boost of a chip/programmer can be the straw that pushes your turbo over the edge...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14