Help Needed HELP WITH COOLANT FILTER INSTALL

JRJ04

Reaction score
Ok so I'm installing the coolat filtration system from dieselsite and am not happy with the directions. the fitting that replaces the plug on the water pump is much longer...how far do you screw it in??? I dont wanna mess stuff up.

Additionally, I bought the shut off valves...do these bolt onto the filter housing??

Any help ASAP would be appreciated cause my rig aint movin nowhere right now.

Reaction score
cant help you on the water pump fitting but place the valves on the filter housing that way there is less loss on a filter change.

HPIM0159.jpg

JRJ04

Reaction score
well, just above the water pump. its right next to where the thermostat is and the upper radiator hose connects.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thats the exact same baldwin filter and base that I have! I installed mine where jourdan was talking about on the water pump. Its NPT threads so it will tighten up before it goes in so far. Where did you guys route your lines to and from? Heater hoses?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Jourdan,I installed the same coolant filter kit on our 02 Powerstroke,I teflon taped the threads then installed it till snug,it seems kinda long but it won't interfere with the thermostat even if you have the 203 installed.

If in doubt drop Bob a phone call:sweet

dpantazis

Reaction score
bush- 7.3 water pumps have a npt threaded port in the pump housing below the T-stat flange. it diverts off 10-20% of the waterpump flow. IH oem trucks have the filter tapped into this port. Ford plugged the hole for 'economy' omitting the bypass filter.

jourdan-

i used the same kit. the fitting on the pump is a pipe thread, so its tapered. use a little bit of teflon tape, make sure you wrap it the right way so that it stays on when you tighten the fitting. keep the teflon tape clear of the first threads to keep crumbles from coming off.

once i installed the bracket to the drivers side radiator support, i used the rear port on the filter head for the valve.

i got a brass ball valve and 90 degree fitting from lowes and screwed that to the valve and put the hose barb on there. that puts the hose at 90 degrees to the housing. makes the hose route cleaner.

route the hose down from the filter and sweep it into the water pump. this hose lives under the top radiator hose from the thermostat.

the filter lives below the filter head.

i used the port on the pass side for the 'return' to the resivior.

plug up the other top and side port.

i can post pics tommorrow if you need them.

dp

ps: did you upgrade the top radiator hose to go outside of the serpentine belt? now is the time to do it.

Last edited:

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok so I'm installing the coolat filtration system from dieselsite and am not happy with the directions.

What part of the instructions are you not happy with? We welcome suggestions. Shoot me an e-mail with what you didn't like, what you thought was missing, what pissed you off, etc and I'll be happy to look it over.

the fitting that replaces the plug on the water pump is much longer...how far do you screw it in???

National Pipe thread fittings (NPT) are tapered threads. If you mean the threaded portion is longer, that thread length varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. It has nothing to do with how far it threads in. They will stop at the same place. You couldn't get in in too far unless you tried screwing it in with a 4' breaker bar. ;)

Additionally, I bought the shut off valves...do these bolt onto the filter housing??
Yes, they screw into the housing between the housing and the actual fittings.

Any help ASAP would be appreciated cause my rig aint movin nowhere right now.
Always try calling- that's the fastest way to get your problems resolved. Sorry you had a problem. We try to answer our phones evenings and weekends to make sure we don't leave anyone stranded. I must say this- There is no reason ANYONE ever should feel they need to post on a board that they are stuck and can't drive their truck until they get help from a member- I carry a cell phone that forwards the office phone to me after hours. This summer is especially busy, and with all the extra projects, I have had very little time to read the forums :dizzy

Hopefully you had gotten it straightened out long before this.

To everyone - I appreciate all the orders - please let me help when I can. Anyone notice something that might use my input, shoot me an e-mail.

You know, I was looking through the icons and I came across this one - :bob and I thought, wow! That's us lately. :D
Thank you!
Bob

emailsignaturelogo.gif

JRJ04

Reaction score
bob,

all in all it went ok...i think it would be helpful to add that you dont need to screw the fittings all the way in. I'm familiar with the truck, but not with those fittings, which could be ignorance on my part. I was just really worried about leaks and was overly-scared so I would say that most of it was an over-reaction.

Another question for you...I'm having a bit of trouble getting the filter to clear the battery cover and had to take the cover off. Is this supposed to be like this or did I do something wrong?

Thanks again for everything!!

Jourdan

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Everything should bolt back in. These trucks are built on an assembly line, and just about every part on the truck has a bit of "play" so things go together quickly. If you noticed, the studs for the coolant filter mount screwed into sliding nuts. They aren't fixed. You radiator might just be jammed a bit further towards the drivers side than the average. Loosen the hold down nuts under the bracket and loosen the bolts on the passenger side radiator bracket. This will allow you to adjust the radiator a bit towards the passenger side of the truck and should give you the clearance needed to put your battery cover back on.

Bob

emailsignaturelogo.gif

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW i had no problem installing mine (admittedly i own a 6.0l) and ive
had it installed over 65k miles w/out any sign of wear/tear or any
other problem.

Personally i think EVERYONE should be running one of these...worst
case...its cheap insurance...best case it gets the crap outta the coolant
that might be plugging the oil coolers & cracking the egr coolers (6.0) !

mark me down as a VERY SATISFIED repeat customer of
bob's <dieselsite.com> !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58