Help with weird occurance

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
A thought?

I think Budro and T-Bar are right on the tire issue. I've had that many times. It's a slipped or broken belt and you can actually feel it if you run your hand around the surface of the tire. It'll make the whole thing do a hula at a certain speed, but can appear normal at another speed. I tried balancing them as well, but if it's a broken or slipped belt, balancing won't help.

Just a thought on your oil, you said that it was cold when it was misbehaving. Could the Penzoil somehow be not working well with the high pressure oil pump? I'm no mechanic, but based on other posts, it sounds logical (eg symptoms the same).

Just food for thought

Richard

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I will get the tires changed. I think the belts are giving out in them. I got 30,000 out of a used set of 315/16 BFGs for $250 so I think I have got my moneys worth out of them. I will look into switching the oil. The only reason I have been using Penzoil is because it was about the only thing available around my neck of the woods and I know it performs well in perfomance cars. That might be why it does not work well in the Diesels though. Any ideas on how to get oil if it is not available at local auto stores. We are pretty limited in my town, we have a GI Joes a Napa and a CarQuest. That is it and nobody really caters to Diesel engines. I have tried to find things such as Stanadyne as well and nobody caries any diesel additives either.

Great bunch of guys over here with tons of information.

Thanks again

Trapper

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
Is there any truth to something I was told that doing a proper tire rotation crossing the front to the back and bringing the back straight foward would cause a problem in the belts.

They were use to traveling one direction and then when you cross them they were going the other?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With today's radials that isn't a problem... If you had the old Bias ply tires you might see some strange behavior, and they'd actually get flat spots in them too if the truck was parked too long.

We have an L9000 Ford chassis for our one tanker at the fire department. Before I convinced them to get new radials for it, it was a bear. That truck would sit sometimes for a month, and then we'd get a call that would call for the tanker. You'd come out of the garage and it was like having two square tires in the front, one triangle, and one octagon in the back the first mile or two was a treat to go in a strait line! Handled like crap too. Put new good year radials on it and now it doesn't matter how long it sits, it's good to go right out of the gate.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Trapper77 said:
Oh yeah one more problem, went to pull the dipstick out after changing the oil and the damn metal wire pulled out of the handle, is this covered by the 100,000 engine warranty or am I going to have to pay for the dip stick?

Trapper

I had the same problem with the dipstick--it only cost about $17 for a new one if my memory serves correctly. It's almost worth buying two and keeping one in reserve in the garage.

Trapper77

2003 Owner
Reaction score
Well, thought I would give an update. Got the tires switched back to the stockers. Truck looks like a sissy but the wobble and bump is all gone. Left front tire was mush. Could not see any belts on the inside or outside that where showing on any of the tires but the weight of the tires would cause them to deform. Looks like things are back to normal with the hard starting problems as well. Once in 40,000 aint much to complain about. Now to find some tires that are not going to cost me a grand. :( Thanks for all the help.

Trapper

$trokin6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the oil is CI4 rated. this controls the soot from the diesel fuel and the EGR system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14