HID light conversion?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I gave up my high beams when I got my HID's and have never looked back, my HID's (6k) are brighter than my stock high beams ever were.

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've got high beams on mine, but they are just 55w halogens. The kit i installed has a 35w 6k low beam and a 55w high beam. You just have to purchase a dual element kit. I only purchased it to pass my brake tag inspection. The guy i go to doesn't care about the hids he just requires me to have high beams. You can't even see them flash when the lows are on. They are definitly good to have as a back up, plus some cops will let you go if you tell them that you accidentally had your highs on.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I've got high beams on mine, but they are just 55w halogens. The kit i installed has a 35w 6k low beam and a 55w high beam. You just have to purchase a dual element kit. I only purchased it to pass my brake tag inspection. The guy i go to doesn't care about the hids he just requires me to have high beams. You can't even see them flash when the lows are on. They are definitly good to have as a back up, plus some cops will let you go if you tell them that you accidentally had your highs on.

Why would the cop have to "LET YOU GO", HID kit's are perfectly legal, as long as the have a DOT number on them, (some cheapy ones don't, and therefore would be illegal) I've actually had cops ask me about mine, cause they liked them, and wanted to get some themselves.

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be right Keanoknick, but I READ that if the vehicle didn't come with HIDs from the factory, then it was considered illegal to install aftermarket HIDs. Nobody around here sells them OR installs them? :dunno You know if it's put in print, then it's the gospel truth! :lmao
That's the way it is here in MS with tint (maybe other states too??)- if your truck comes from the factory with tinted rear windows, it's legal- but if the truck didn't have tint from the factory and you put on film that's EXACTLY the same darkness as the factory stuff, it's considered illegal and you can recieve fines up to $1,000 (at least that's what the tint shop owner told me). With some of the stupid laws we have on the books today, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. :rant
I could be wrong about the lights, though. Sure wouldn't be the first time! :tounge

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
You may be right Keanoknick, but I READ that if the vehicle didn't come with HIDs from the factory, then it was considered illegal to install aftermarket HIDs. Nobody around here sells them OR installs them? :dunno You know if it's put in print, then it's the gospel truth! :lmao
That's the way it is here in MS with tint (maybe other states too??)- if your truck comes from the factory with tinted rear windows, it's legal- but if the truck didn't have tint from the factory and you put on film that's EXACTLY the same darkness as the factory stuff, it's considered illegal and you can recieve fines up to $1,000 (at least that's what the tint shop owner told me). With some of the stupid laws we have on the books today, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. :rant
I could be wrong about the lights, though. Sure wouldn't be the first time! :tounge

I'm glad I don't live in MS, cause that law is just plain STUPID:rant

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just cause someone produces a product for a certain vehicle doesn't make it legal. The distributor we buy HIDs from said none of the kits he has ever bought or sold to us or anyone have been legel. SEMA is actually fighting congress on this issue. I have never personally seen a DOT number on any HID kit. The factory headlight housing is not designed to focus light from an HID bulb. The light source is not coming from the same point as a halogen bulb. That is what makes them so much brighter than halogens in a stock reflector, its the stray light going everywhere. If you look at a vehicle factory equipped w/ HIDs they are no brighter, just a prettier color. But i'll never take mine out. You'll have to pry 'em out of my cold, dead 250.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I've seen two identical vehicles parked next to each other (2006 Nissan Maximas) one with factory HID's and one without, I assure you, the factory HID's are far brighter than the halogen.

I never said that just cause it was made, meant it was legal, READ THE POST, I said one's with DOT #'s on them are legal, mine have a DOT # on the ballast.

Coastal6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey knick let me know what brand you have. If they are DOT approved i'll let our shop manager know so maybe we could offer them. It's always a feather in your hat if you got a DOT# on a product. Do you know if they offer a dual element kit? Alot of our customers ask specifically for their highs to work.

treyloco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any systems that have a DOT #. ANd if you are looking for a good kit w/ high beams I would recommended systems form Xtralight.com. I've installed a few of them and haven't had a problem yet. Also they are completly waterproof.

On a side note coastal what happen to your ride? I was wondering why I haven't seen your headlights rolling up behind me on I-610 in the mornings.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[ANd if you are looking for a good kit w/ high beams I would recommended systems form Xtralight.com. I've installed a few of them and haven't had a problem yet. Also they are completly waterproof.

I think he meant xtralightS.com...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58